Been there before but this was the first visit with 18 megapixels.

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Been there before but this was the first visit with 18 megapixels. It's here where the term pittoresque was invented.

A couple of impressions:

A crowded place, renowned as Little Venice

2qvyzv9.jpg

This place is known as the square of the six black mountains directly next to Little Venice

2ccp9a8.jpg

The Marchamps street

2r3ja76.jpg

Maison Pfister, the most frequently photographed house in France has been a https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2102085&postcount=1932 [Broken] here too:

155ly6d.jpg

But what is that on the roof in the right hand top?

It's a storks nest:

2vl77rl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Wow, looks like a great place!

And from your link - Colmar is the birthplace of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Auguste_Bartholdi" [Broken], the sculpture of the Statue of Liberty :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, true, we passed the entrance of his place/museum here:

2z703md.jpg

I thought of using that for the landmark game, but that seems to be dead permanently now.

Oh god this is beautiful! More and more evidence is stacking up for why I should travel over to France/Germany/Austria in the summer... I just might have to.

Just a question: What lens did you use for these shots?

Yes plenty of reasons to have a look around here.

I used three lenses (12-24mm wide, 18-55mm standard and 70-300mm zoom) and I think if you download these pics, you can read it in the EXIF which particular one was used at which focus.

Posting a few more to deal with a 'embarras de richesse' problem.

Which pic would you enter in the photo challenge "colorful street photography" ??

apart from the previous ones, also:

bg5zwi.jpg

2eyge48.jpg

wl7nh4.jpg

21jqbfl.jpg

2ntcism.jpg

2a94cc4.jpg

33wmsf8.jpg

t6x8vq.jpg

11mg4dc.jpg

vfl9vo.jpg

The cart seems an easy choice, however people tend to vote on tumbnail size pictures and would not even notice the horses. For those a stronger composition may be required.

So what would you think? Which is the best?

Last edited:
drizzle
Gold Member

I like pic No.1, some of the pictures didn't appear though.

Nice place. :smile:

Evo
Mentor

I like the stork nest.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Posting a few more to deal with a 'embarras de richesse' problem.

Which pic would you enter in the photo challenge "colorful street photography" ??

[]
The cart seems an easy choice, however people tend to vote on tumbnail size pictures and would not even notice the horses. For those a stronger composition may be required.

So what would you think? Which is the best?

Tough call- 'colorful' can be taken two ways: a varied color palette, or referring to a regional-specific attribute ("local color"). Unfortunately, it looks like most of the folks in your images are tourists rather than locals- got anything else?

Thanks Drizzle, that one was high on my list too, together with Marchamps street in the OP.

Sorry Evo, I'm afraid I cant sell the stork on a street view contest.

Great observation Andy, fortunately there are two entries per person, so I think I'll also enter the net maintainer here.