Been there before but this was the first visit with 18 megapixels.

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for the input everyone.In summary, the place is crowded, known for its Little Venice atmosphere, and has been the birthplace of several famous people. Some of the pictures show the street and the museum that is next to it, while others show the famous Maison Pfister. The lens used was a 12-24mm, 18-55mm and 70-300mm.
Andre
Been there before but this was the first visit with 18 megapixels. It's here where the term pittoresque was invented.

A couple of impressions:

A crowded place, renowned as Little Venice

2qvyzv9.jpg

This place is known as the square of the six black mountains directly next to Little Venice

2ccp9a8.jpg

The Marchamps street

2r3ja76.jpg

Maison Pfister, the most frequently photographed house in France has been a https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2102085&postcount=1932 here too:

155ly6d.jpg

But what is that on the roof in the right hand top?

It's a storks nest:

2vl77rl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, looks like a great place!

And from your link - Colmar is the birthplace of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Auguste_Bartholdi" , the sculpture of the Statue of Liberty :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, true, we passed the entrance of his place/museum here:

2z703md.jpg

I thought of using that for the landmark game, but that seems to be dead permanently now.

Oh god this is beautiful! More and more evidence is stacking up for why I should travel over to France/Germany/Austria in the summer... I just might have to.

Just a question: What lens did you use for these shots?

Yes plenty of reasons to have a look around here.

I used three lenses (12-24mm wide, 18-55mm standard and 70-300mm zoom) and I think if you download these pics, you can read it in the EXIF which particular one was used at which focus.

Posting a few more to deal with a 'embarras de richesse' problem.

Which pic would you enter in the photo challenge "colorful street photography" ??

apart from the previous ones, also:

bg5zwi.jpg

2eyge48.jpg

wl7nh4.jpg

21jqbfl.jpg

2ntcism.jpg

2a94cc4.jpg

33wmsf8.jpg

t6x8vq.jpg

11mg4dc.jpg

vfl9vo.jpg

The cart seems an easy choice, however people tend to vote on tumbnail size pictures and would not even notice the horses. For those a stronger composition may be required.

So what would you think? Which is the best?

Last edited:

I like pic No.1, some of the pictures didn't appear though.

Nice place. :smile:

I like the stork nest.

Andre said:
Posting a few more to deal with a 'embarras de richesse' problem.

Which pic would you enter in the photo challenge "colorful street photography" ??

[]
The cart seems an easy choice, however people tend to vote on tumbnail size pictures and would not even notice the horses. For those a stronger composition may be required.

So what would you think? Which is the best?

Tough call- 'colorful' can be taken two ways: a varied color palette, or referring to a regional-specific attribute ("local color"). Unfortunately, it looks like most of the folks in your images are tourists rather than locals- got anything else?

Thanks Drizzle, that one was high on my list too, together with Marchamps street in the OP.

Sorry Evo, I'm afraid I can't sell the stork on a street view contest.

Great observation Andy, fortunately there are two entries per person, so I think I'll also enter the net maintainer here.

What is the significance of 18 megapixels in this visit?

The number of megapixels in a photograph refers to the resolution or clarity of the image. Generally, the higher the number of megapixels, the more detailed the image will be. In this case, it means that the images taken during this visit will be of higher quality compared to previous visits.

Does the use of 18 megapixels affect the scientific data collected?

The use of 18 megapixels does not directly affect the scientific data collected during the visit. The data collected is based on the equipment and methods used, not the resolution of the images. However, having higher quality images can aid in the interpretation and analysis of the data.

How does using 18 megapixels benefit the scientific research being conducted?

The use of 18 megapixels in scientific research can provide more detailed and accurate data, especially in studies that involve visual observations or analysis. It can also capture more information in a single image, reducing the need for multiple photographs and making the research process more efficient.

Are there any downsides to using 18 megapixels in scientific research?

One potential downside is that higher resolution images can take up more storage space and may require more processing power to handle. This can be a consideration when conducting field research or working with limited resources. Additionally, if the equipment used to capture the images is not properly calibrated, it could affect the accuracy of the data collected.

Are there any other factors to consider when using 18 megapixels in scientific research?

While the number of megapixels is important, it is not the only factor to consider when using images in scientific research. Other important factors include the type and quality of the camera and lens, lighting conditions, and the expertise of the person taking the photographs. It is also important to properly document the camera settings and any image processing techniques used to ensure the reliability and reproducibility of the research.