Bessel's ODE: Why does taking ν≥0 matter? It is squared anyway.

In summary, the Bessel's ODE has a coefficient of x^2-nu^2 which requires nu to be a non-negative real number. This is because assuming nu is positive will still yield the same solutions, and in most applications, nu is a real integer or half-integer. However, mathematically, nu can be any complex number. The reason why nu must be non-negative real could be due to the physical system or boundary conditions being modeled. There is no mathematical reason for nu to be real instead of complex.
gikiian
In Bessel's ODE [itex][/itex] [itex]x^{2}y''+xy''+(x^{2}-\nu^{2})y=0[/itex], why must [itex]\nu[/itex] not be less than zero?

I have looked it up, but I do not find a satisfying answer anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general ##\nu## can be any complex number.

But in the most common applications, it is a real integer or half-integer.

My instructor told me that ##\nu## has to be a non-negative real number (i.e. ##\nu## ≥ 0). Do you have any idea why he said that?

Here, you are assuming that the coefficients, including [itex]\nu[itex], are real. Because [itex]\nu[/itex] is squared, it does not matter whether it is positive or negative, we must get the same solutions. It is simplest to assume it is positive, knowing that if it is, in fact, negative we will get the same solutions anyway.

gikiian said:
My instructor told me that ##\nu## has to be a non-negative real number (i.e. ##\nu## ≥ 0). Do you have any idea why he said that?

If the equation is modeling some physical system, it could be because of the physics, or the boundary conditions for the solutions that you want to find.

But there is no mathematical reason why ##\nu## has to be real, rather than complex.

Likes 1 person
I thought [itex]\nu[/itex] can be +ve or -ve. You have Bessel Function in negative order.

1. Why does taking ν≥0 matter?

Taking ν≥0 matters because it ensures the convergence of the solution to Bessel's ODE. This condition is known as the regularity condition and it guarantees that the solution is well-behaved and does not blow up at the origin. Without this condition, the solution may become unbounded and unusable in practical applications.

2. What is the significance of ν in Bessel's ODE?

In Bessel's ODE, ν is a parameter that determines the type of solution. It is known as the order of the Bessel function and it affects the shape and behavior of the solution. For positive integer values of ν, the solution is a Bessel function of the first kind, while for non-integer values, it is a Bessel function of the second kind.

3. How does taking ν≥0 affect the solutions of Bessel's ODE?

Taking ν≥0 restricts the values of ν to positive numbers, resulting in a specific type of solution known as the regular Bessel function. This function is well-behaved and has a finite value at the origin, making it useful in many applications such as heat transfer, vibration analysis, and electromagnetic theory.

4. Can the regularity condition, ν≥0, be relaxed?

Yes, the regularity condition can be relaxed for certain values of ν. For example, for negative integer values of ν, the solution is still well-behaved and finite at the origin. However, in most practical applications, it is necessary to take ν≥0 to ensure the convergence and usefulness of the solution.

5. Why is ν squared in Bessel's ODE?

The term ν squared in Bessel's ODE comes from the transformation of the ODE into a standard form for solving using power series or other analytical methods. This transformation simplifies the equation and makes it easier to find a solution. The squared term also arises from the properties of the Bessel function itself, which is a solution to many physical problems involving circular symmetry.