Best movie scenes

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Pulp Fiction: Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in the appartement. I used to know Jules monologue by heart, let's see if I still got it..

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tirany of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, sheperds the weak through the valey of darkness, for he is truly is brother's keeper and the finder of lost childre. And I will strike upon thee with great vengence and furious anger he who poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon you." bam. :approve:

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It'll probably be pretty easy to detect a recurring theme throughout some of my favorite movie moments.

Contact - Jodie Foster's character is shot through a strange spacetime wormhole kind of thing by an alien-specified device and experiences Awe. "There are no words... should have sent a poet..." Maybe the dialogue is a little corny, but Foster does a great acting job here of portraying the emotion of awe in the face of such an awesome experience.

The Matrix - Neo engages Morpheus in combat in a virtual reality dojo. Although Neo, strictly speaking, has an abstract understanding that his environment is not 'real,' he is engulfed in the vivid perceptual illusion and has difficulty really believing that what he's experiencing is just a simulation. After Morpheus whoops on him a little, he leans in to really drive the point home: "You think that's air you're breathing?"

The thing I really like about this scene is that the audience's situation mirrors Neo's. The audience knows that the dojo environment is just a computer simulation, but it's presented with such straightforward, vivid 'reality' that it's easy to fall into default perceptual assumptions that it is in fact a 'real' place. Morpheus's reminder thus presents something of an "a-ha" moment to the audience as well as Neo.

Waking Life - Wiley Wiggins' character is talking to a leather jacket clad, biker-looking guy about lucid dreams while a soft banjo melody plays in the background. The biker-looking guy mentions that one indicator that one is experiencing a lucid dream world is that light switches typically don't work in dreams. As a lark, Wiggins' character flips the light switch before leaving the room, only to find that it doesn't work. The biker guy smiles and shrugs as Wiggins begins to drift away.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Since loseyourname reminded me of it in the 'bad movies' thread. I really love the scenes where the memory-erasing device causes Jim Carrey's character to take a systematic walk through his memories, reliving them as if they were real. The catch is that the 'memory world' works on its own internal logic, ensuring that whatever happens is consistent with the salient features of the original memory.

For instance, Carrey relives a memory where he sees the back of the head of a new suitor for his former girlfriend. He tries to turn around the mystery man to confront him, only to find that the man's back is the same as his front-- no matter what he does, he can only see the back. Another great scene like this involves Carrey's memory of his girlfriend walking away from him in a huff down a rainy street at night. While reliving it, he tries to change the memory by running after her. However, in a weird Escher-esque twist, whatever side of the street he runs down winds up being the side away from which his girlfriend is walking.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Airplane:

Roger Murdock: We have clearance Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
Control Tower: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur! Oveur.
Control Tower: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Control Tower: Roger, over.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Captain Oveur: Huh?

Easily amused. :smile:

wolram
Gold Member
Barberella in the orgasmatron, i think.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:

Ooohh, good one!

wolram
Gold Member
brewnog said:
Ooohh, good one!
I don't watch many films, this is the only one i remember.

wolram said:
what is an orgasmatron ?

marlon

wolram
Gold Member
marlon said:
what is an orgasmatron ?

marlon
I can not remember all the film, the," orgasmatron", was a machine that
killed women with pleasure. but barberella broke it.
:biggrin:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
No, no, the best part of The Empire Strikes Back:
LEIA: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee.
HAN: I can arrange that.
:cool: He's such an adorable jacka**.

The firing squad scene in Paths of Glory. I've never met anyone who's seen this movie - if you haven't seen it, SEE IT NOW! French soldiers in WWI retreat (without being ordered to do so) during a mission everyone knew was impossible, and a few are selected to be prosecuted for cowardice.

Last edited:
Ali - when Will Smith/Muhammad Ali goes to Africa for the first time with Salif Keita's song Papa in the background, very sentimental moment...

JamesU
Gold Member
PerennialII said:
Final scenes of the "Audition".
:grumpy: I have been looking for audition everywhere...I heard it was good

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
:grumpy: I have been looking for audition everywhere...I heard it was good
..... in terms of memorable movie scenes this etches GOOD, and for most causes some sleep deprivation :biggrin: (at least us sensitive ones :uhh: ) .... Japanese can make the real stuff and us westerners only remakes. Better hit ebay asap!

Roy Batty's last moments in Blade Runner.

Requiem for a Dream :: The "Ass to Ass" bit of the ending Requiem

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
The firing squad scene in Paths of Glory. I've never met anyone who's seen this movie [...]
Now you have. :smile: It's a great flick, but it's aging.

Diencephalon said:
Requiem for a Dream :: The "Ass to Ass" bit of the ending Requiem
omg, bliss o:)

The Empire Strikes Back
"Luke, I am your farther."
"NOOO!!!"

Tombstone
"Your so drunk your probably seeing double."
"I got two guns, one for the both of ya."

"I'll be your huckleberry."

"This ain't revenge, it's a reckoning."

Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring
"You shall not pass!"

Army of Darkness
"You got real ugly, real fast." Then spears this chick in the chest.

Last edited:
I have several favorite scenes. I also like that scene where Indiana shoots the swordsman. I like the scene in the Last Crusade where Sean Connery says, "We named the dog Indiana."

The scene in Seabiscuit where the trainer says "He's just forgotten what it's like to be a horse" (or something like that). and he sends the jockey and the horse for a run in a park. After the horse and races off as if to never return, the ownr's wife says, "At least he was cheap." (or something like that)

I also like, "I'm your huckleberry." From Tombstone.

The scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan when the tanks are coming, you can hear them and it just makes you think, death machines are coming. Awesome first few minutes also.

The first battle in Gladiator.

The sword fight between Rob Roy and the Fop.

The scene in the Man in the Iron Mask where the three musketeers are charging the soldiers of the King and the captain says, "What valor!"

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
From Garden State:

Sam: Hey, I recognize you.
Andrew Largeman: Oh, did you go to Columbia High?
Sam: No, not from high school, from TV. Didn't you play the retarded quarterback?
Andrew Largeman: Yeah.
Sam: Are you really retarded?
Andrew Largeman: No.
Sam: Ooh, great job man! I really thought you were retarded. I mean, you're better than that Corky kid and he's actually retarded. If there was a retarded Oscar you would win, hands down, kick his ass!

Here's another:

Sam: If you can't laugh at yourself, life's gonna seem a whole lot longer than you like.
Andrew Largeman: All right, so what are we laughing at you about?
Sam: I lied again... I have epilepsy.
Andrew Largeman: Which part are we laughing about?
Sam: had a seizure at the law office where I work, and they told me their insurance wouldn't cover me unless I wore preventative covering.
Andrew Largeman: What's preventative covering?
Sam: The helmet I was wearing... Oh come on, that's funny. That's really funny, I mean I'm the only person who wears a helmet to work who isn't putting out fires or racing for NASCAR. But what do you do, I can't quit... their insurance is amazing, what do you do? You laugh. I'm not saying I don't cry but in between I laugh and I realize how silly it is to take anything too seriously. Plus, I look forward to a good cry. It feels pretty good.

---------------

Btw, loseyourname, I thought "Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind" was a very good movie.

My favorite movie of all time is Pleasantville though I doubt there is anyone else in the world that would agree with me lol. There are a few scenes that I love. The one I liked most was the courtroom scene shearly for the resemblance it held to the courtroom scene in "To Kill a Mocking Bird" (the real one ofcourse). Also the scene in the park clearing when the girl brings the main character an apple from the near by tree.

The Last Supper was also a great movie. I can't remember many of the scenes anymore but the ending was great. My friends and I have always been rather fond of the scene "Do you know what you need? Do you know what you really need?!..." I wont finish that quote.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just about the sexiest scene I know of occurs in "The two Towers":
A wounded Aragorn opens the big double doors in Helm's Deep all by himself and enters with really bad news..
Damn, that's raw masculinity!