Best Physics Journals: Condensed Matter & Update

In summary, there are varying opinions on the best physics journal for condensed matter physics and staying up to date on all branches of physics. However, it is suggested to consult multiple journals, such as PRL and other Physical Review journals, and to also follow citation trails to be well informed.
chikou24i
What is the best physics journal for condensed matter physics ?
And what is the best journal for all branchs of physics that keeps you on update ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be varying opinions, but my view is that it takes more than one journal.

Likes chikou24i
Dr. Courtney said:
There will be varying opinions, but my view is that it takes more than one journal.
What do you recommend for example ?

PRL and the other Physical Review journals that include your fields of interest are a good place to start.

But you will miss some important material if you focus on only a few journals.

Once I identify a core group of papers in a field of interest, I like to work the paper trails both ways:

Which papers are cited by the core group of papers?

Which papers cite the core group of papers?

For me, following the citation trails of a core group of papers is a much better way to be well informed than sticking to a small number of journals.

Likes chikou24i and Silicon Waffle
Thanks.

What is the significance of condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of condensed phases of matter, such as solids and liquids. It plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies related to materials science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.

What are the top journals for condensed matter physics research?

The top journals for condensed matter physics research include Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B, Journal of Applied Physics, Nature Materials, and Science Advances. These journals have high impact factors and publish cutting-edge research in the field.

What is the review and publication process for these journals?

The review process for these journals typically involves initial screening by the editors, followed by peer review by experts in the field. The process can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months, depending on the complexity of the research. Once accepted, the paper goes through a publication process which involves copyediting, formatting, and proofreading before it is published online or in print.

How can I access these journals?

Most of these journals are available through institutional subscriptions or individual subscriptions. Some journals also offer open access options, where the author pays a fee for their paper to be freely available to readers. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have access to these journals through their library subscriptions.

What are some recent breakthroughs in condensed matter physics?

Some recent breakthroughs in condensed matter physics include the discovery of topological insulators, which have potential applications in quantum computing, and the development of high-temperature superconductors, which can conduct electricity with zero resistance at higher temperatures than previously thought possible. Other recent advancements include the study of quantum materials and the manipulation of exotic states of matter such as Bose-Einstein condensates.