Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Betty White endorses Obama.

1. May 12, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Sorry, what was controversial about her performance in Lake Placid (haven't seen the film)?

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    I meant the statement to be taken humorously. The movie is funny, and Betty White is funny in it (imo).

5. May 14, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Thomas; I was unaware of a film entitled "Lake Placid". I thought that it was a reference to the winter Olympics that were held there, so your comment just left me baffled.
    "Golden Girls" notwithstanding, I contend that her best role was as Sueanne Nevins on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Also, when she competed on "Password", which was hosted by her husband, she really showed her improv talents.

6. May 14, 2012 #5
    Apparently, so is most of the rest of the segment of humanity that frequents the PF General Discussion forum.

I suppose it would have been possible for her to be a member of the 1980 US winter Olymics team. Sort of like the Satchel Paige of winter sports. :smile:

I've officially changed the premise of this thread to: humor via bafflingly ambiguous statements. If that's even possible. And am now aware of the Danger involved wrt making statements containing references to movies whose titles are places.

It was interesting to me that USAToday considered the Betty White endorsement important enough to write an article about it.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. May 14, 2012 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Now you're just being silly... :tongue:
    I thought that perhaps she had made some political or social comment about the Olympics. She is, after all, not known for holding her tongue.
    Keep in mind that I'm not a Yank, so some of your cultural references elude me.

8. May 14, 2012 #7
    Well, I'm trying. :smile:

9. May 14, 2012 #8
    Interesting to see this, considering Bela Lugosi's controversial performance in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

10. May 14, 2012 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Very... :biggrin:

11. May 14, 2012 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Is it still technically considered a "performance" when it's post mortem? :confused:

12. May 14, 2012 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. May 14, 2012 #12
    (1) Exactly!, or (2) Indeed! . Your choice.

14. May 14, 2012 #13
    :smile: Point taken.

15. May 14, 2012 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Can't I have both? :frown:

16. May 14, 2012 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet Lugosi would be a Ron Paul guy.

17. May 14, 2012 #16
    Why so?

18. May 14, 2012 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I highly suspect that he is Ron Paul. (Well, face it... they'd be about the same age...)

19. May 14, 2012 #18
    Does this help?
    Interesting to see this, considering Miley Cyrus' non-controversial performance in Hannah Montana.

20. May 14, 2012 #19
    Another keen observation, poignantly in line with the thread of the theme.
    Did I just have a George W. Bush moment?

On a similar note, both Bela Lugosi and Duncan Renaldo (the legendary Cisco Kid) were born in Romania. I wonder if Betty White was aware of that. Or Miley Cyrus for that matter. And, if so, will USA Today do an article on it?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  21. May 14, 2012 #20

Danger

Gold Member

How could she not be aware of Miley Cyrus? That kid is everywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook