Black holes and the centrifugal force paradox

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
joebox
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi

Is someone interested in this topic ?

I'd like to share my idea with you, PF people. I also designed a "reverse geometry" to illustrate this paradoxical effect.

Thank you for your answer

Jean-Marc
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A web search came up with this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/black-holes-and-the-centrifugal-for/

An object orbiting close to a black hole feels a centrifugal force pushing inward rather than outward. This paradoxical effect has important implications for astrophysics.

Unfortunately, you have to pay for the article. I didn't find much more than that. There is this arXiv article, however:
An intuitive approach to inertial forces and the centrifugal force paradox in general relativity

As the velocity of a rocket in a circular orbit near a black hole increases, the outwardly directed rocket thrust must increase to keep the rocket in its orbit. This feature might appear paradoxical from a Newtonian viewpoint, but we show that it follows naturally from the equivalence principle together with special relativity and a few general features of black holes.
 
This appears to relate to frame dragging. I'm not sure if, or how this works from a Newtonian gravity perspective.
 
Yes I read this article 20 years ago written by by Marek Abramovic in the 70s. By Fortunately, you don't need knowledge in mathematics to understand...
I'm try to "design" a reverse geometry to visualize this "paradoxical event" and I was wondering who could give me some feed-back.
Moreover I think that this paradoxical situation has its own limit linked to our cognitive bias (see eg "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne that explains the inside of the black hole, that allows to make the link between both statements).

Thanks