Black image through Newtonian reflector eyepiece despite working viewfinder

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter George Barry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    astronomy telescope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
George Barry
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I bough a Newtonian reflector a while back, after it was assembled I couldn't see anything through the eyepiece. The viewfinder works perfectly fine, but when I look through the eyepiece it is just pitch black. Any suggestions?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What have you tried to do to make it work? I assume you have tried to adjust the focuser...? Changed eyepieces...? Tried it during the day...? What were you pointing it at...? We can help if you provide details. We've heard this question before.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, yes I have done all of the above, I used it during the day and all I saw was darkness. I could only view anything if I lifted one of the telescope legs up and held it in place long enough to look through the eyepiece, which makes me think the lens may not be centered, but I am not sure.
 
The first suggestion is to look though the telescope without an eyepiece in the focuser. The secondary should appear to be centered in the reflection of the primary mirror. If not, your primary is misaligned. For futher discussion see http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/how-to-align-your-Newtonian-reflector-telescope/