Book/Books on elementary number theory

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for recommendations for a book on elementary number theory with exercises that is suitable for someone with a weak math background. Two suggestions are given, including a book with short chapters and extensive exercises, and another book that covers more advanced topics such as elliptic curves.
Mastermind01
Hello all,

I probably should have posted this in a math forum but I don't know of any. Can anyone recommend a book/books on elementary number theory with exercises? My math background is not very strong with very little knowledge of set theory so it should be understood by me. We're covering things like Euclid's division lemma, congruence modulo, Fundamental theorem of arithmetic among others...

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems exactly what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486474178/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Very short chapters, but it covers plenty of material. Very, very, very good exercises. Low price. One of the best introduction books on abstract algebra out there (and yes, it covers the appropriate number theory).

1. What is elementary number theory?

Elementary number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of positive integers and their properties. It covers topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, and Diophantine equations.

2. Why is elementary number theory important?

Elementary number theory is important because it serves as the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also has applications in cryptography, computer science, and other fields.

3. What are some popular books on elementary number theory?

Some popular books on elementary number theory include "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G.H. Hardy and E.M. Wright, "Elementary Number Theory" by David M. Burton, and "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory" by Joseph H. Silverman.

4. What are the prerequisites for studying elementary number theory?

The prerequisites for studying elementary number theory include a strong foundation in basic algebra and a familiarity with mathematical proofs. Some knowledge of modular arithmetic and prime factorization can also be helpful.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about elementary number theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about elementary number theory. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Number Theory Web. Additionally, many universities offer online courses or lecture notes on the subject.