Books on stock trading mechanics, backtesting, and risk metrics

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tedbradly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tedbradly
Messages
88
Reaction score
1
I have 4 types of books I'm interested in finding:

1.
I want a book on how to keep a portfolio, how trading actually takes place, the different avenues to head down to complete a trade (their costs, advantages, and disadvantages), and so on. I sort of want a book on literally HOW to trade stocks -- not on how to pick (supposedly) profitable stocks [which is commonly phrased 'how to trade stocks'].

2.
I'm also looking for a solid book on how to backtest a stock trading strategy. One that details what assumptions tend to be valid during simulation and how to align best your simulated results with reality as well as a disposition on common pitfalls of coded market simulators.

3.
A book on measures of risk/performance for a stock strategy [that has been traded or simulated]. 2 & 3 could possibly be in a single book, I assume.

4.
Last and least important, a good book on common trading strategies and why they (used to) work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for the double-post, but my browser isn't responding to the "save" when I clicked edit.

It would be awesome if #1 also detailed other real life considerations when trading stocks such as taxes etc.
 
There is the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham and A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John Murphy. Not quite sure if it is what you are looking for, but they have some great information.
 
khemist said:
There is the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham and A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John Murphy. Not quite sure if it is what you are looking for, but they have some great information.

Nice! These are the types of books I'm in search of, and it shows why a forum can often trump searching Google or Amazon.

From reading the descriptions, it seems your second fulfills my fourth (and possibly third) and your first at least a bit fulfills my first (and possibly my third and fourth).

Thanks!