Breaking news: Aliens land on Earth. But....

In summary: I don't think it's improbable at all, but it would be funny to see how the media would react. In summary, the aliens land on Earth on April 1st and cause a lot of confusion. There could be a lot of nuclear war as a result.
Noisy Rhysling
...they land on April 1st.

Merry confusion ensues.

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What?
Imagine that aliens landed on Earth on April Fool's Day. There were would be a lot of confusion on the 24/7.

I also think it would make a fun short story that I, personally, will never write.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I also think it would make a fun short story that I, personally, will never write.
Would make for an interesting story! You should write it!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would make for an interesting story! You should write it!
Too tired. Somebody better than me should do it anyway.

It would be fun to see which side Alex Jones came down on.

fresh_42 said:
The difference being that the aliens actually landed, and are a bit befuddled by the reactions their landing has caused. (The President gets impeached because he believes they landed, etc.) It would snowball from there. In the end the aliens leave Earth and post a warning to avoid the place, it's full of lunatics.

Considering that there are maybe only about a billion of us who have that tradition in our culture, I assume the reaction of the other six billion may clue us in. All advanced countries would likely go to their equivalent of DEFCON 1. That'd likely include readying nuclear weapons, getting heads of states in the air or underground...

newjerseyrunner said:
Considering that there are maybe only about a billion of us who have that tradition in our culture, I assume the reaction of the other six billion may clue us in. All advanced countries would likely go to their equivalent of DEFCON 1. That'd likely include readying nuclear weapons, getting heads of states in the air or underground...
I'm counting on the Internet here, we'd soon find the dumbest common denominator and that would be THE TRUTH for most people, even those without the April Fool's tradition.

I think it could make for an amusing story concerning a small group of people, but nothing close to billions, millions, or even hundreds of thousands.
Or you could make it entirely satirical and just go with it. If it's funny enough, few would care that it's very improbable.

Drakkith said:
I think it could make for an amusing story concerning a small group of people, but nothing close to billions, millions, or even hundreds of thousands.
Or you could make it entirely satirical and just go with it. If it's funny enough, few would care that it's very improbable.
I was going very satirical, having a virtual war in the media as to whether they actually landed. Alex Jones-type characters, Rush Limbaughish types, etc.

"Obviously, the footage of the Russian President meeting the aliens is fake! I mean, just look! He has his shirt on!"

Stop there, no one would ever believe Putin is meeting the aliens while using a shirt, that's the kind of thing that would only happen in one of a billion parallel universes, two really unlikely events for the same april's 1st wouldn't make for a believable narrative. (Yes, i know you aren't going for a believable narrative, you aren't even thinking of writing this, so just joking...[tought it would be cool to read this kind of story])

AidenFlamel said:
Stop there, no one would ever believe Putin is meeting the aliens while using a shirt, that's the kind of thing that would only happen in one of a billion parallel universes, two really unlikely events for the same april's 1st wouldn't make for a believable narrative. (Yes, i know you aren't going for a believable narrative, you aren't even thinking of writing this, so just joking...[tought it would be cool to read this kind of story])
I'm going for satirical, as mentioned above.

1. Who are the aliens and where do they come from?

As a scientist, I cannot confirm the identity of the aliens until further research is conducted. However, based on their technology and appearance, we can assume that they come from a highly advanced civilization.

2. What are their intentions for landing on Earth?

It is impossible to determine their intentions without further communication and observation. It is important to approach the situation with caution and gather as much information as possible before making any assumptions.

3. How did they travel to Earth?

Based on scientific knowledge, it is likely that the aliens have advanced technology that allows them to travel through space at high speeds. However, we cannot confirm the exact method of their travel without further investigation.

4. Are they a threat to humanity?

At this point, it is too early to determine if the aliens pose a threat to humanity. It is important to maintain communication and establish peaceful relations before making any conclusions. We must also consider the possibility that they may not have any hostile intentions.

5. What should we do now that aliens have landed on Earth?

As scientists, our immediate response should be to gather as much information as possible through observation and communication. We should also consider the ethical and moral implications of our actions and prioritize peaceful interactions with the aliens.