Breccia meteorite smashed into summer house in the middle of Oslo

  • Thread starter Thread starter arildno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Meteorite Summer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,165
Reaction score
138
One of the "hidden jewels" in Oslo is the so-called Rodeløkka Colony Garden district. Here, encircled by "normal" buildings in a city, you find tiny summer houses, with idyllic garden plots and fruit trees. It is very charming, but is off limits for those not having direct connection to the owners of the cottages.

This spring, when visiting the house for the first time, an owner was surprised that part of the cottage's roof had been smashed in, and found an odd rock at the floor.

Astronomers are quite certain that it is a so-called breccia meteorite, and if it is, it will be a worldwide rarity.
http://www.aftenposten.no/viten/Sjelden-stein-fra-verdensrommet-lagde-hull-i-taket-6782336.html
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a photo series of how the cottages look like:
http://www.kolonihager.no/web/PageND.aspx?id=105698

The Colony Gardens started out as a charity project so that impoverished working class families could get a sense of holiday in the middle of the city (affluent citizens in Oslo at that time had their own summer houses at the various islands that the Oslo fjord is sprinkled with).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Here is a photo series of how the cottages look like:
http://www.kolonihager.no/web/PageND.aspx?id=105698

The Colony Gardens started out as a charity project so that impoverished working class families could get a sense of holiday in the middle of the city (affluent citizens in Oslo at that time had their own summer houses at the various islands that the Oslo fjord is sprinkled with).
That first photo shows what appears to me to be a small shed-observatory with a roll-off roof. Very nice but hardly a cottage.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What are the necessary qualifications of a proper cottage, mighty turbo?

The presence of buxom dairy maids?
 
arildno said:
What are the necessary qualifications of a proper cottage, mighty turbo?

The presence of buxom dairy maids?
Buxom dairy maids would be proper (if not necessary) accouterments to a cottage. Ski-bunnies would also be nice, but I'm not picky.
 
What a cutie! I don't care if she milks cows or can ski worth a damn.

She doesn't even have to cook. I can take care of that.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Oh, that picture just begs for inappropriate comments about that horn.
I chose a picture where I myself would only have PURE, WHOLESOME thoughts looking at it!
I am a moral guy, usually.
:approve:
 
turbo said:
I had pure and wholesome thoughts. I'd gladly get up every day and make her breakfast.
A breakfast served in...a horn of plenty, perhaps?
 
Evo said:
Oh, that picture just begs for inappropriate comments about that horn.
Oh young woman with the horn of plenty,
I hope your age is over twenty.
You're really such an attractive lass,
Some forum members would like to - check your mass.
 
Borg said:
Oh young woman with the horn of plenty,
I hope your age is over twenty.
You're really such an attractive lass,
Some forum members would like to - check your mass.
:biggrin: