Bright star low in the west sky after sunset: Venus or another planet?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Observation Star
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
blimkie.k
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
I observed a really bright star in the sky a few minutes ago its still there.

Its in the west sky low just a few degrees above the horizon.

I'm assuming its a planet because i live in the city of London, Ontario which is a pretty large city for Canada.

I'm also assuming its Venus because Venus is the brightest planet and the sun just set in that direction so it can't be Mars because its close to the sun.

Is this a correct assumption to make?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If it is REAL bright, you're looking at Venus, which is inexorably diving into the Western horizon every night. There is one day coming soon when Venus will be the Morning Star and the Evening Star on the same day, but I have misplaced the link.