Why does my homemade telescope magnify only 2 times instead of 10?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gdpudasaini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Telescope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
gdpudasaini
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Please say me how...telescope

I want to make a telescope with the magnification of more than 20 times. I want to make it in my own home. I tried to make one using two convex lenses one og focal length 100cm(objective) and other of focal length 10cm(eye piece). So according to theoretical calculation it should magnify 10 timnes. But i found that it magnified only 2 times. I am depressed. Please someone suggest me how can i make a better telescope.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
magnification is not an important thing in telescopes, you want resolving power.
 
large mirror, that collects much light. There are millions of homepages if you google