Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush's Spiritual Advisor Backs Obama

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    I thought this was interesting because of the long Jeremiah Wright thread:

Bush's spiritual adviser backing Obama

Published: Jan. 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM

HOUSTON, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- U.S. President George Bush's spiritual adviser, the Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell, has decided to support the presidential bid of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

The leader of Houston's Windsor Village United Methodist Church said Obama's "character, confidence and courage" inspired him to support his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, the Houston Chronicle reported Sunday.

"I have been in contact with the Obama campaign team," Caldwell said. "I will be making visits on his behalf."

The pastor did clarify that his support of the Illinois politician was based entirely on his personal beliefs and did not represent support from his United Methodist church.

Caldwell's spiritual relationship with the Republican president has included performing the benediction at both of Bush's inaugurations.

Caldwell told the Chronicle he had informed Bush of his decision to back Obama and that the president accepted his decision.

(i'd include the link to the original UPI article, but it won't let me until i've made more posts.)

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    Cue Russ coming in here saying "So what??? Huh?? So???"

4. May 4, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

5. May 4, 2008 #4
    I wonder if this might be a means of hurting Obama by associating him with Bush and his associates. Some republicans have been working hard to keep Obama out because they are fairly sure McCain can beat out Hillary.

6. May 4, 2008 #5

haha. well, you know, i think it's profound personally...kind of nullifying the responsibilities of the candidates to their spiritual advisers.

7. May 5, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He has a very different take on 9-11... it's the church's fault!

Tom DeLay, GW and now Obama. Notice a trend?

8. May 5, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your posts, yes!

Recent Republican Nominees: George W. Bush (first term), George W. Bush (second term), John McCain (notice a trend?)

9. May 5, 2008 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?