1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C grades last semester - Applying to grad school

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm making this post because I'm concerned about my chances of being accepted to graduate school. I just finished my B.S. in Physics this semester and I was planning on applying to some Electrical Engineering programs. Before this semester my GPA was 3.4, but now it currently sits at 3.27 due to my poor performance this past semester. I received a "C" and "C+" in Classical Mechanics and Thermal/Statistical Physics. I'm afraid this will demonstrate that I'm possibly burnt out or not ready for graduate school since my grades are the worst at the end. The only other C grade I received was in Quantum Mechanics with a "C+" grade. If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are right - it looks bad to be getting C's in upper division classes. I am not sure what else to tell you.

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    I understand it looks bad. My question is probably more along the lines of whether or not I have a chance of being accepted.

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Based on this, I wouldn't accept you. The transcript is saying that you can't excel in upper division undergrad classes, and grad classes are harder. It's not like there is a shortage of applicants. Now, if you smoked the GRE and had stellar letters, maybe a committee might overlook it.

Switching to EE, I don't know. In general, the bar is higher to switch fields, because you come in even less prepared.

But why do you care what we think? You can always apply.

6. Jun 7, 2012 #5
    Just to follow up with this thread, I applied to 4 different universities and was accepted to 3, including my top school of choice. The program begins in October! :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. Jun 7, 2012 #6
    Congrats... what did you have on your application that made up for your GPA e.g. amazing teacher recs, etc.

8. Jun 7, 2012 #7
    Some factors might have been my letters of recommendation, work experience (~2 years engineering), and perhaps my statement of purpose. I applied to grad programs in Germany that are taught completely in English, so perhaps my language proficiency was a factor as well.

9. Jun 7, 2012 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Congratulations!

10. Jun 8, 2012 #9
    Thanks. I should also add that I took three additional EE courses (post bachelor) the following semester: Electrical Circuits II, Power Electronics, & Noise Fundamentals, in which I obtained 2 A's and a B. I think this may have been the key.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  11. Jun 9, 2012 #10
    Maybe a C in Germany at B.S. level is different from a C in the USA at graduate school entry level? A C in the UK would, I guess, be a 2ii - and you can do graduate courses (=MSc courses) with a 2ii. Not saying the USA is deficient - just that it has a high barrier for getting into graduate school, in the UK the high barrier is at the 'A' level stage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook