Calculating physical separation of 2 sources at unknown angle.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a project on Gamma Ray Bursts and the search for a scale factor to adjust the observed quantities. The average separation of the bursts from their host galaxies is 4 arcseconds, but this may not be the true separation due to line of sight components. The speaker first considers scaling down by a factor of the average of sin x over a half cycle, but then considers the orbit as a circle around a sphere and calculates a downsizing factor of the average of (sin x)^2 over a half cycle. Eventually, it is determined that the values should be multiplied by √(3/2) to account for the squared distance and the fact that only 2 out of 3 coordinates are visible.
BOYLANATOR
I am doing a small project on Gamma Ray Bursts. I am looking at a data set of around a dozen bursts which are observed at an angular offset from their host galaxies (My theory is that they are in dwarf galaxies orbiting the host galaxy).

Say the average separation of these GRBs is 4 arcseconds from the hosts. This will not be the real separation because the observations could have a line of sight component of separation which is unobservable. I am looking for a scale factor to multiply the observed quantities by.

At first I thought the observations would be scaled down by a factor of the average of sin x over a half cycle. This corresponds to the average of the angle which the burst can be to the plane perpendicular to the line of sight.

Then I though of the orbit as a circle somewhere around a sphere. I believe there are two separate axes of rotation for this circle which would decrease our observed separation. Leading to a downsizing factor of the average of (sin x)^2 over a half cycle.

I think the first one is correct but I have confused myself in the visualization. A convincing answer would be great.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you consider the squared distance, the coordinates get independent. You see 2 of 3 coordinates, so you just 2/3 of the real average squared distance, assuming all directions from the host galaxy have the same probability.

So I should multiply my values by √(3/2) then. Thanks

1. How do you calculate the physical separation of two sources at an unknown angle?

The physical separation of two sources can be calculated by using the distance formula, where distance = speed x time. In this case, the speed would be the speed of sound or light, depending on the source, and the time would be the time it takes for the signal to travel from one source to the other. The unknown angle can then be found using trigonometry, specifically the law of cosines.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating physical separation at an unknown angle?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation. These include the precision of the time measurement, the speed of the signal, and any environmental factors that may affect the speed of the signal, such as air density or interference.

3. Can this calculation be used for sources that are not stationary?

Yes, this calculation can be used for sources that are not stationary. However, it may be more difficult to accurately measure the time it takes for the signal to travel between the two sources if they are moving.

4. Are there any limitations to using this calculation for physical separation?

One limitation is that this calculation assumes a straight path between the two sources. In reality, the signal may be affected by obstacles or reflect off of surfaces, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, this calculation may not be suitable for sources that are very far apart.

5. How is this calculation used in real-world applications?

This calculation is commonly used in fields such as acoustics, astronomy, and geophysics. It can be used to determine the distance between two sound sources, the angle between two celestial objects, or the distance between two seismic events. It can also be used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the position of an object based on the time it takes for signals to travel between satellites and the object.