Finding population from past years with 2.7% annual growth rate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
busted
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I am not too sure what to do to answer this question.
Each year for the past 5 years the population of a certain country has increased by a steady rate of 2.7% per annum. The present population is 15.2 million.
a) what was thepopulation 1 yr ago?
b) what was the population 5 years ago?

I forgot what formula to use. Any help and reminders welcome. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, then re-develop that formula using your head (and our hints).
You start out!:smile:
 
I know the normal formula for compound interest is
un = u1 * r^(n-1)
so rearranging that would give u1 = ___(1.027)^5_____
15.2 * 10^6
 
Not sure what you are doing here. "1 year ago from n=1" is n-value n=0.
Plug that into your equation.