Calculating Radius of Circle: X^2 - 2Ax + Y^2 - 2Ay = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter m00c0w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
m00c0w
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to calculate the radius of the circle [tex]x^2 - 2ax + y^2 - 2ay = 0[/tex]
I completed the square and got to [tex](x-a)^2 + (y-a)^2 = 2{a}^2[/tex]
That would mean the radius is [tex]\sqrt{2{a}^2}[/tex] right? Which would be [tex]\sqrt{2}\sqrt{a^2} \Rightarrow a\sqrt{2}[/tex]... but my textbook quotes the answer as [tex]\sqrt{2a}[/tex] :confused: Did I do something wrong or is my textbook incorrect?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook is wrong.
 
Are you sure you are reading your textbook? It might be that the answer is [itex]\sqrt{2}a[/tex] but a little blurred so it is not clear where the square root sign ends- it looks like [itex]\sqrt{2a}[/itex]. <br /> <br /> On the otherhand that is exactly why most texts would use the clearer [itex]a\sqrt{2}[/itex] as you do.[/itex]