Calculating Spectral Weight of a Gaussian Curve

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vatlychatran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Gaussian Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 14K views
vatlychatran
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Can you tell me what spectral weight is? If I have a spectrum that I measure, how can I get spectral weight? For simplicity, assume that the spectrum is a Gaussian curve. Thank you so much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
vatlychatran said:
Can you tell me what spectral weight is? If I have a spectrum that I measure, how can I get spectral weight? For simplicity, assume that the spectrum is a Gaussian curve. Thank you so much!

It's a little hard to tell without more context, but it PROBABLY refers to the relative intensity of a band, relative to the summed total intensity of the spectrum.
 
SpectraCat said:
It's a little hard to tell without more context, but it PROBABLY refers to the relative intensity of a band, relative to the summed total intensity of the spectrum.

Now I understand that spectral weight of a spectrum is area under the spectral curve.
 
How about telling us what type of spectrum are you looking at?

Please present as detailed and complete of a scenario as possible. If not, we'll be spending time just trying to figure out what you are asking, such as right now.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
How about telling us what type of spectrum are you looking at?

Please present as detailed and complete of a scenario as possible. If not, we'll be spending time just trying to figure out what you are asking, such as right now.

Zz.

I'm studying in superconductivity and measure Raman spectra. In fact, a detailed spectrum is not so necessary therefore as above I take a simple theoretical curve (Gaussian) to understand what spectral weight is. From papers I realize that spectral weight is area under the curve (area between curve and x axis). I can give you a spectrum but that is really not necessary. You can draw an arbitrary curve in xOy as you like and that is a spectrum.

Uhmmm. I should show you an example.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,094