Calculating Volume of Acetone for Solution with Methylene Chloride

  • Thread starter Thread starter john16O
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Percent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
john16O
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What volume (L) of the solvent acetone should be added to 1790 g of the solute methylene chloride to make a solution that is 20.3 g methylene chloride per 100. g solution?


Molar Mass (g/mol)
CH2Cl2 84.93
(CH3)2CO 58.05
Density (g/mL):
CH2Cl2 1.327
(CH3)2CO 0.7899
Name/Formula:
methylene chloride
CH2Cl2
acetone
(CH3)2CO

Homework Equations



percent by mass = mass of solute/ mass of solution x 100

The Attempt at a Solution


Im taking organic chem right now and this is a question for one of my chem lab homeworks so I am a little rusty with these kinds of problems...but this is where I am at/stuck

Looking for (L) of (CH3)2CO Given: 1790g CH2Cl2 and the mass percent fraction is:
20.3g CH2Cl2/100g soln.

I know that you have to use the densities to convert from g-->L but I just don't know how to get to that point..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That means that you have a solution which is made of the ratio 203 parts mass methylene chloride to 797 parts mass acetone. This is based on 1000 parts mass of solution. Now, scale this up to 1790 parts mass of solution.