Calculus Problem: Boat propeller/matrix/derivatives

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a problem using matrices and is not sure if the answers they are getting are correct. They are seeking help because the professor hinted that the answers should be whole numbers, but the student keeps getting decimals. They have attached their work and are looking for assistance in finding where they went wrong.
ITF
Here's the problem, attached to the post. I've tried using matrices to solve it but I'm not sure if the answers I am getting are correct. The professor hinted that the answers should be whole numbers, but I keep getting decimals. Any help??

I've uploaded a scan of my work, scan02 is where I plugged in for the X's and found the derivatives. I then put them into a matrix.

Thanks,
ITF

Attachments

• propeller1.jpg
    propeller1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 408
  • propeller2.jpg
    propeller2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 364
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ITF said:
Here's the problem, attached to the post. I've tried using matrices to solve it but I'm not sure if the answers I am getting are correct. The professor hinted that the answers should be whole numbers, but I keep getting decimals. Any help??

I've uploaded a scan of my work, scan02 is where I plugged in for the X's and found the derivatives. I then put them into a matrix.

Thanks,
ITF

Sorry, I have to reply in order to attach my matrix working. The limit is three files. Anyhoo, :smile: my work isn't exactly the "prettiest" but at least I hope it's clean enough for a Helper to show me where I went wrong. It also shows the answers I got for each variable, (A, B, C, D,..etc.)

Thanks again!
ITF

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 402

What is a boat propeller?

A boat propeller is a device that is attached to the boat's engine and is used to propel the boat through the water by creating a force that pushes the water backwards, which in turn propels the boat forward.

How is calculus used in solving boat propeller problems?

Calculus is used in solving boat propeller problems by using derivatives to determine the rate of change of the boat's position and velocity, and by using integrals to find the distance traveled and displacement of the boat.

What is a matrix in calculus?

In calculus, a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables that is used to represent a system of equations or to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

How are derivatives used in matrix calculus?

Derivatives are used in matrix calculus to determine the rate of change of a matrix, which can be useful in optimizing or finding the maximum or minimum values of a function that involves matrices.

What are some real-life applications of calculus in boat propeller problems?

Some real-life applications of calculus in boat propeller problems include determining the optimal speed and angle for the boat to travel, calculating the force and torque exerted by the propeller, and designing propellers that are more efficient and minimize drag.