Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Caltech Physicists Successfully Split The Bill

Tags:
  1. Sep 5, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good for them! We've been grappling with this problem for years at UCLA .
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/52324

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

:rofl: :rofl:

That reminds me of dinner with all the physicists from Stellar Hydro Days a few weeks ago. We learned exactly how many theoretical physicists it takes to split a bill.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    I don't know, I'm a bit skeptical. We've been fooled like this before. I want to see their data first

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4
    After reading the article, I'm sorry to say it was a little deja vu. Really reminds me of that dinner during the conference.

6. Sep 5, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Were there pitchers of alcoholic beverages involved? If so, how did you calculate the user to pitcher ratio? This is a common area of dispute within our department after gatherings and frequently dismantles our calculations.

7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is so funny!! I HATE going out to eat with large groups because there is always at least one skinflint that has to calculate their fair share of the bill down to half of everyone elses. "Oh, I only had one of the appetizers" :rolleyes:

8. Sep 5, 2006 #7
    No pitchers, a few margaritas, some coffee, and a LOT of flan.

No, the punchline to the question: "How many theoretical physicists does it take to split up a bill?" is...

1 to show that he can't count 20s 10s 5s and 1s simultaneously.
    9 to show they can't add, subtract, divide or multiply to save their lives
    and 1 guy who keeps rembering something else he ordered and throwing in a few more bucks. like that second margarita. oh and the coffee. Oh and the flan, how much was that?

The other undergrad and myself found it hilarious.

9. Sep 5, 2006 #8
    Strange. In my experience they don't divide the check, it's written off as a business expense.

10. Sep 5, 2006 #9
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. Sep 5, 2006 #10

Well this was an informal conference (Not like a major APS meeting). Twelve speakers, twenty or so people, plus a few LANL summer students like me.

12. Sep 6, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: There's one group of people I go out with that I've learned to just go ahead and enjoy myself buying one of the most expensive dishes on the menu, because, no matter who has what, they'll always insist on just splitting the bill so everyone pays the same, and they all order expensive meals. So, I might as well have an expensive meal too than get something inexpensive and pay for theirs anyway.

With another group, there's a person who ALWAYS insists on paying the entire bill, so I keep things inexpensive knowing this will happen.

And, then I have a friend who will break out the calculator to calculate the exact proportions of each shared dish that everyone had and will split the bill to the penny. :rolleyes:

I've since learned that the easiest thing to do is to first ask the server if they can give us each separate checks if we're going to be paying for our own meals in a group.

So, I think they left a few variables out of their calculations. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?