Can a change of environment improve focus and productivity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
AFG34
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
How to "get in the zone"?

I always get distracted by video games and other stuff. I somehow need to forget about them while I'm studying/working on assignments.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I find going to place where it forces you to do nothing but do whatever work you are supposed to do (or want to do) works. The local library is a good example.
 
Yes, I agree. Back in college I used to go to the physics club, since about the only thing I could do there was study or talk about physics. Now as a grad student, I do my homework almost exclusively in my office.
 
In general I try not to study around distractions as others have said. I have learned to put the distractions aside and work without thinking about them but in general I find I work best in the library. I also find that listening to music helps while doing problems to kill the mild boredom and keep you focused. Although of course whether or not I listen to music depends on what kind of work I am doing.
 
Well I'm in a terrible bout of procrastination, I count 4 days till exams and also have a nice long project to do by tomorrow. I have never been able to work in a library or anywhere other than home, so it looks like I'm screwed royally.
 
I find that I almost can get nothing done at home anymore. I try to work in one of the labs at school instead. Being in an environment that is made for doing work, like the library example above, really does help.