Can Alfvén waves be observed on a stellar spectrum using amateur equipment?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Getterdog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Observation Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Getterdog
Messages
83
Reaction score
6
TL;DR
Asking wether Alfvén waves could be observed by amateur astronomers
I currently do amateur stellar spectroscopy, low to medium resolution, and I like to expand further to study magnetic fields near the sun.
I just started studying plasma physics and am aware of Alfvén waves. How would these be observed on a spectrum.? Would it be oscillating Ha lines, or oscillation of polarization? In other words ,what could be observed by an an amateur with grating and polarizing filters? Thanks jack
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question but just to observe the zeeman splitting requires and R of 30000 or above. Given the atmosphere I think it would be very difficult with typical amateur equipment.
Regards Andrew