Can Anion Resins Effectively Separate Cations Like Co(II) and Ni(II)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exchange Ion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Puchinita5
Messages
178
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am doing a lab called "Complexometric Determination of Cobalt"

and am asked "Explain why an anion resin can be used to separate a mixture of cations such as Co(II) and Ni(II)"


I have no idea. My textbook says that cation exchange resins are used to separate cations. So part of me wants to say that you can't use an anion resin...but our lab uses an anion resin to separate them so it has to be able to.


I can't find any resources that explain how an anion resin could be used to separate cations.
I would think an anion resin wouldn't be able to attract cations at all since it is made up of positively charged groups on the stationary phase, which would repel the cations.

So confused.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it terminology? - that cation exchange resins are anionic, i.e. their covalently attached groups are anions? :confused: