1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone explain me this question

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Which is the acid salt of which the aqueous solution is basic?
    [tex] {\rm{1) NaHSO}}_{\rm{4}} [/tex]
    [tex]{\rm{2) Na}}_{\rm{2}} {\rm{So}}_{\rm{4}} [/tex]
    [tex] {\rm{3) NaHCO}}_{\rm{3}} [/tex]
    [tex]{\rm{4) Na}}_{\rm{2}} {\rm{CO}}_{\rm{3}} [/tex]
    [tex]{\rm{5) Mg(OH)}}_{\rm{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]{\rm{6) MgCl(OH)}} [/tex]

can anyone explain what is acid salt and what the word "aqueous solution is basic" mean

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2
    well...havent you done acids and bases in chemsitry yet? if not, by this question, im assuming your suposed to have so read up on it in your text book. its basically asking which of those has an acid salt which is basic, which imo is a pretty silly question but anyway

i think

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    can anyone tell me which number is the answer

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5
    No, not unless you show some work on how you arrived on yours, right or wrong, its the policy on Physics Forums.

7. Oct 24, 2006 #6
    RE:(Which is the acid salt of which the aqueous solution is basic?
    can anyone explain what is acid salt and what the word "aqueous solution is basic" mean)
    please check whether my explanation is right or wrong
    (1)(3)(6)
    unsusure about Mg(OH)2.if Mg(OH)2 is aqueous,then it should be one of the answers.
    NaHSO4=Na+HSO4
    Na somehow increase the concentration of OH- and HSO4 somehow increase the concentration of H+.(sorry by which way I cannot remeber)

8. Nov 4, 2006 #7
    its basically asking which of those is basic in solution. its a stupidly worded question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?