1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone identify this item please

  1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    photo%202.JPG This item was handed to me by a customer who thought it had fallen off a piece of our machinery. It clearly has not but is a wonderful piece of machined steel standing some 8" tall it is an extrusion with tiny drilled holes that look like air vents and two, what looks like bearing mounts which are different diameters. I have worked in engineering for many years and cannot imagine what it is. So come on all you wise engineering bods, impress me with your wealth of knowledge.............I will not accept that its a table with some keys and a lump of metal as an answer.
    Thanks in advance. Ben photo%201.JPG
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Interesting. Looks to me like something you would use as a crush-able (and easily replaceable) support in a bumper.
  4. Oct 29, 2015 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    The small holes remind me of the holes in a turbine blade so perhaps something steam related?
  5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
    Could it be a movable nozzle of some kind?
    Are the top and bottom flanges parallel? or are one or both angled?
    Are the holes through the part or blind? Are they threaded?
  6. Oct 30, 2015 #5


    Staff: Mentor

    I think it looks like a bollard meant to be anchored in concrete. The polished part would stick above the concrete and be used as the hub to mount a bearing. Small holes would carry lubricating oil under pressure.
  7. Oct 30, 2015 #6
    The hollow looks like a sliding guide for something as a conformed kind of rod, and the cylindric forms as parts to fir in some holes allowing turning inside them, between two parallel beams. It looks as a part of a bigger articulated mechanism. Old steam machines has something the like to transform circular into lineal movement.
  8. Oct 30, 2015 #7
    What other types of machinery do you have Ben? I don't think that this object fell put of someone's pocket. :)
  9. Nov 2, 2015 #8
    Could it be a piece of an arm of a petrol see-saw-like pump?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook