Can caskets really explode underground due to gas buildup?

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pressure building up in a buried casket due to gas from decomposition, and whether or not this can cause the casket to explode. There are mixed opinions on the matter, with some saying it is a myth and others saying it is a fact. The individual speaking shares their personal experience working in a cemetery and not seeing any signs of pressure from graves. They also suggest reaching out to myth busters or contacting graveyards for more information.
kaleidoscope
I was researching this a little bit and there are mixed insights regarding this topic. Some say it's myth other say it's fact. I'm not sure if the preassure caused by the gas can overcome the weight of the dirt and the strenght of the casket. I was thinking that this would imply that even a body buried directly into the dirt would have to produce some sort of bubble around it or if a big pet is buried in a plastic bag it would inflate it and explode it and I haven't really heard any of that.

What do you think?

(sorry for the creepy scenario but I had to ask :s )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you seal it air tight to hold any pressure then it could hold the given pressure or energy then later release it. I would guess tho if the pressure did build it would do it slowly, most likely slow enough for the gas to find a way to bleed off through a hole.

What i know is nothing all i have is a guess

If i where you and I HAD to know i would write the myth busters OR start calling graveyards

Last edited:
I was the assistant sexton/groundskeeper at my town's cemetery as a teen until I was old enough to get industrial/construction jobs. I never saw any signs of pressure from the graves. To the contrary, I had to keep an eye out for subsidence and get fresh loam dumped and raked out on some graves, and re-seeded to keep everything looking nice. Bear in mind that this was in the '60s before some sort of rigid vault was required.

1. Can caskets really explode underground due to gas buildup?

Yes, it is possible for caskets to explode underground due to gas buildup. This typically occurs when a body is not properly embalmed or if there is a leak in the casket, allowing gases to accumulate and build pressure.

2. What gases are responsible for causing caskets to explode?

The main gases responsible for causing caskets to explode are methane, hydrogen sulfide, and carbon dioxide. These gases are produced during the decomposition process of a body.

3. How common are casket explosions?

Casket explosions are not very common, but they can happen in certain circumstances. They are more likely to occur in warmer climates or in areas with high levels of organic material in the soil.

4. Can casket explosions be dangerous to nearby individuals?

Yes, casket explosions can be dangerous to nearby individuals. The force of the explosion can cause debris to fly out of the ground and potentially injure someone standing nearby. It is important to handle caskets with caution and follow proper burial procedures to prevent these incidents.

5. How can casket explosions be prevented?

Casket explosions can be prevented by properly embalming the body and ensuring that the casket is sealed tightly. It is also important to bury the casket at a sufficient depth and in an area with good drainage to prevent gas buildup. Regular maintenance and monitoring of cemeteries can also help to prevent these incidents.