hillzagold said:
A lottery winner? Since when was anecdotal evidence of a single data point ever admissible?
The point was, I think, that that the system is broke enough that it only looks at income and not assets. Welfare and medicare/aid only use your tax filings to determine eligability in most states (I think CA looks at savings... would have to do more digging).
On a tangent: I have an issue with this inconsistency when it comes to how Federal Grants via student loans are given out. Parents that save money can be punished because their assets can be a burden. If a family makes 50k/year and saves prudently for college, they could be denied a grant compared to a family that makes 80k/yr and doesn't save. Which is really more worthy of the grant?
WhoWee said:
That's fair. Let's label this entire post - IMO.
First, let's agree to a definition of "welfare state" - ok?
This is highly generalized, but my starting point would be the major (personal) programs (some include the states) food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, "re-training" and unemployment extension programs/COBRA, and tax credits such as EITC and Making Work Pay. Also in this realm would be ANY benefits provided to illegal aliens. Next would be the rules regarding diversity" in loan programs. Next, are the corporate/business welfare such as "green energy" subsidies like ethanol. Next are bailouts.
Last, and I don't expect you to agree, unionization of Government workers is a contradiction IMO - WHY do workers need protection from the Government?
Something that I think needs to be emphasised, are tax credits. What was the statistic floating around? Over 1/2 of income earning Americans had zero tax burden? While this is potentially only a small amount of income/year, it's something. I'm a proponent of greatly simplifying our tax code to being bare bones to whatever lightly marginalized tax rate is necessary (any income-based tax breaks would be built in. Something like 5% for up to poverty then 25% for any income over poverty line (or 1.5 poverty or different %s or whatever the numbers need to be there)). If we're going to have a national income tax, make it fair, make it worthwhile, and make it easy so we can ditch the bulk of the IRS.
One thing that most of the 'welfare state' politicies have in common: no end date. I know some states have kill clauses in them, but there are some people who live off of government assistance indefinately. In addition to limiting the welfare policies, there needs to be MUCH stronger incentives to getting off of the government programs. I'm fundamentally against this level of government involvement, but I understand the opportunity our country has to support underprivledged. Too bad we're not in a position to be as generous any more.
Something close to me: I have an aunt whom was diagnosed with lupus about 15 years ago (and is still doing well, considering). She's only ever worked part-time or seasonal jobs, more to keep busy than income. She's been married since just out of high school, and isn't divorced. Because Social Security pays out based on a comparative salary of your spouse (he's always been the sole-supporter), she gets a sizable check just for being unable to work every month. How many other situations are there like this in the country where someone whom wasn't contributing to start is taking from a pot that is meant to be for contributors?