Can everything be explained in one way or another

• Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking if there is anything in our universe that doesn't have a scientific explanation, which the answer is no. Our rules and laws for motion actually explain the underlying why of motion.
iDimension
Obviously I know that our universe is only explainable when we're not limited by understanding for example there was a time when the motions of the planets could not be explained even though the physics / math was there all the time, we just didn't know it then.

So I wonder do you think that there is anything in our universe that doesn't have a scientific explanation? Now I'm not talking about god or anything ridiculous like that I'm basically saying that if something exists in our universe then it must be explainable.

Everything in our universe, no matter how strange must follow some rules or laws?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do our rules and laws for motion actually explain the underlying why of motion?

There are large swaths of things that aren't explainable, which we take for granted.

Student100 said:
Do our rules and laws for motion actually explain the underlying why of motion?

There are large swaths of things that aren't explainable, which we take for granted.

Well the problem with asking why is you presume a purpose. When people ask why, what they're realling asking is how.

Just because every effect relies on underlying rules doesn't mean it's practically possible to characterise and explain those rules. Social interaction for example, in theory you could reduce a human society down to a set of equations (after all we're all made of interacting matter) but it would be impossible. Even supposing science was good enough to predict a social outcome given very extensive data on every variable you're not going to be able to characterise those variables in the field.

There's probably a much better way of outlining the problem of emergent effects than I just did but you get the idea.

Ryan_m_b said:
Just because every effect relies on underlying rules doesn't mean it's practically possible to characterise and explain those rules. Social interaction for example, in theory you could reduce a human society down to a set of equations (after all we're all made of interacting matter) but it would be impossible. Even supposing science was good enough to predict a social outcome given very extensive data on every variable you're not going to be able to characterise those variables in the field.

There's probably a much better way of outlining the problem of emergent effects than I just did but you get the idea.

Great point actually.

I also liked Ryan's post above.

But some other thoughts from me on the general subject:

iDimension said:
Everything in our universe, no matter how strange must follow some rules or laws?

Hmm... I would personally probably not use the word "must" since I don't like telling the Universe how it must be :biggrin:. I would rather point out that it sure seems like the idea of science (and physics) in general is working; that it is possible to observe nature, experiment in it and based on this construct models and theories which can be used for making various calculations and predictions.

See also the article
"The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences" by Eugene Wigner (1960) (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html, wiki link)

Last edited:
That is a strange question to ask/answer. Our collection of scientific theories is built up from the structure that we set a number of axioms and then derive everything we can from them. You can certainly say that everything derived from them can be exaplined in terms of those axioms, but you could argue that there then can be no explanation for those axioms themselves. And indeed, if we ever find anything new that is not derivable from any previous axioms, then we simply add a new axiom.

TL;DR I would argue, the fundamental axioms are per definition not explanable.

1. Can everything be explained using the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to understanding and explaining natural phenomena. While it is a powerful tool for understanding many aspects of the world, it is not the only way to explain everything. Some phenomena, such as emotions and consciousness, are difficult to explain using the scientific method.

2. Is there a single, all-encompassing theory that can explain everything?

At this time, there is no single theory that can explain all aspects of the universe. Scientists continue to develop and refine theories to explain different phenomena, but it is unlikely that one theory will be able to explain everything.

3. Can everything be explained in a way that everyone can understand?

While scientists strive to communicate their findings in clear and accessible ways, not all concepts are easily understood by everyone. Additionally, some phenomena may be too complex or abstract to be fully explained in simple terms.

4. Are there limitations to what can be explained?

There are certainly limitations to what can be explained, both in terms of our current scientific understanding and the limitations of human perception and language. Some phenomena may also be beyond our ability to observe or measure, making them difficult to explain.

5. Can everything be explained without any unanswered questions?

As our understanding of the world continues to evolve, new questions and mysteries will inevitably arise. It is likely that there will always be some unanswered questions, as our knowledge and technology are constantly expanding. However, this should not discourage us from seeking explanations and understanding as much as we can.