Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement:
Relevant Equations:
I understand that Zener Breakdown occurs when the reverse current starts flowing in the junction because of which depletion region entirely vanishes. Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Homework Statement:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?
Relevant Equations:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

I understand that Zener Breakdown occurs when the reverse current starts flowing in the junction because of which depletion region entirely vanishes. Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?
Can you be more detailed in what you are asking, and post some schematics?

Zener diodes are usually used in shunt configurations, to provide crude voltage regulation. You can use them in series with a load if you want to drop some voltage (the Zener voltage) between your voltage source and the load. Your Zener diode needs to have a power rating sufficient to handle the ##I_s V_z## (series current * Zener voltage) power dissipation, of course.

Benjamin_harsh
I am referring to reverse current in zener breakdown. I am referring to this part.

NDK1Fh6.png

berkeman
Mentor
I am referring to reverse current in zener breakdown.
Of course. That's how a Zener diode works.
I am referring to this [part](https://i.imgur.com/7tlCabh.png)
Image link is not working for me. Maybe just paste in the image into a reply? (You'll need to be sure the little Edit icons are not red, but clicking the "[ ]" toggle BB icon if needed)

berkeman
Mentor
Homework Statement:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?
Relevant Equations:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?
Or are you not referring to a Zener diode, and are referring to some other semiconductor device?

Suggested for: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views