Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Power
In summary, Zener Breakdown occurs when the reverse current starts flowing in the junction, causing the depletion region to vanish. It is possible to power things using this reverse current, but the Zener diode must have a sufficient power rating to handle the power dissipation. It is also important to ensure that the appliance can handle the current and voltage provided by the Zener diode.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I understand that Zener Breakdown occurs when the reverse current starts flowing in the junction because of which depletion region entirely vanishes. Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Homework Statement:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?
Relevant Equations:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

I understand that Zener Breakdown occurs when the reverse current starts flowing in the junction because of which depletion region entirely vanishes. Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?
Can you be more detailed in what you are asking, and post some schematics?

Zener diodes are usually used in shunt configurations, to provide crude voltage regulation. You can use them in series with a load if you want to drop some voltage (the Zener voltage) between your voltage source and the load. Your Zener diode needs to have a power rating sufficient to handle the ##I_s V_z## (series current * Zener voltage) power dissipation, of course.

I am referring to reverse current in zener breakdown. I am referring to this part.

NDK1Fh6.png

Benjamin_harsh said:
I am referring to reverse current in zener breakdown.
Of course. That's how a Zener diode works.
Benjamin_harsh said:
I am referring to this [part](https://i.imgur.com/7tlCabh.png)
Image link is not working for me. Maybe just paste in the image into a reply? (You'll need to be sure the little Edit icons are not red, but clicking the "[ ]" toggle BB icon if needed)

Benjamin_harsh said:
Homework Statement:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?
Relevant Equations:: Can I power things even after Zener breakdown?

Can I power things using this reverse current ? Or will it damage the appliance?
Or are you not referring to a Zener diode, and are referring to some other semiconductor device?

1. What is Zener breakdown?

Zener breakdown is a phenomenon that occurs in a Zener diode, where the diode experiences a sudden and significant increase in current when the voltage applied to it reaches a specific threshold value.

2. Can I still power things after Zener breakdown?

Yes, you can still power things after Zener breakdown. In fact, some devices such as voltage regulators and surge protectors rely on Zener breakdown to function properly.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of current that can pass through a Zener diode during breakdown?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of current that can pass through a Zener diode during breakdown. This limit is known as the Zener current and it is typically specified by the manufacturer.

4. Can Zener breakdown damage my electronic devices?

Zener breakdown itself does not usually cause damage to electronic devices. However, if the voltage applied to the device is too high, it can cause damage to other components in the circuit.

5. How can I prevent Zener breakdown from occurring?

Zener breakdown is a natural and expected behavior in Zener diodes and cannot be prevented. However, you can choose a diode with a higher breakdown voltage or use other components such as resistors to limit the voltage applied to the diode.