Can I Send a Signal Faster than Light by Pushing a Rigid Rod? - Comments

• Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
In summary, there have been 29 posts, one full ban, and 2 thread bans in the forum. The forum rules apply to all discussions, including pedagogical questions. The speaker believes that addressing such questions using accepted science is an educational opportunity and not an annoyance. They enjoy the challenge of untangling arguments. However, there have been bans and post deletions targeting those who insist that relativity is wrong and those who are outright trolling. It is suggested that further discussion on this topic should take place in the forum feedback section.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dale said:
Now 29 posts, one full ban, and 2 thread bans. All of the forum rules apply!
I appreciate your objections, but, fear we may be alienating curious visitors by 'rigidly' applying forum rules to pedagogical questions. Most such questions are not difficult to address within the context of accepted science. I view this as an educational opportunity, not an annoyance. I personally enjoy the challenge of untangling spaghetti arguments. It keeps me sharper than I might otherwise be.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos said:
Most such questions are not difficult to address within the context of accepted science. I view this as an educational opportunity, not an annoyance. I personally enjoy the challenge of untangling spaghetti arguments.
Indeed, and this is why there's a thread in the first place... Maybe even why there's physicsforums.com

The thread bans and post deletions Dale refers to aren't hitting curious visitors interested in knowing how relativity works. They're hitting the people who insist, noisily, that relativity is wrong and also hitting one outright troll.

Further discussion probably belongs in the forum feedback section?

Likes PeterDonis and vanhees71

1. Can I really send a signal faster than light by pushing a rigid rod?

No, it is impossible to send a signal faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest possible speed in the universe.

2. Why can't I use a rigid rod to send a signal faster than light?

A rigid rod, or any physical object, cannot travel faster than the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy. Additionally, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it increasingly difficult to accelerate.

3. What about quantum entanglement? Can that be used to send signals faster than light?

No, while quantum entanglement may appear to transmit information faster than light, it does not actually violate the speed of light limit. The information being transmitted is random and cannot be controlled, so it cannot be used to send a deliberate signal.

4. What would happen if I tried to push a rigid rod faster than the speed of light?

It is impossible to push a rigid rod faster than the speed of light. Even if you were able to somehow accelerate it to that speed, it would experience infinite mass and collapse into a black hole.

5. Is there any way to travel faster than light?

At this time, there is no known way to travel faster than the speed of light. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose methods for achieving faster-than-light travel through manipulation of spacetime. These theories are still purely hypothetical and have not been proven to be possible.