Can I Take the Patent Bar with a BSEE and Passed FE Exam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tyler1215
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Patent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
tyler1215
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have been thinking about taking the US Patent Bar to become a Patent Agent and possibly a Patent Attorney later down the road. I was looking at the requirements for one to be able to qualify to take the Patent Bar; the requirements are 1 of 3 things: 1) BS in Engineering or other related science, 2) about 20+ hours of Physics courses and other sciences, or 3) taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

I will be receiving my BSEE this December, but I have already passed the FE exam back in April. Could I take the Patent Bar now or do I need to (or should I) wait until after I receive my degree?

Please answer this post based off of information you may know or collect, not based off of the information I provided above. Thank you for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but the Patent Office always requires that you have a bachelor's degree before sitting for their Registration Examination.

Mark Dighton
Admin. Director, PLI's Patent Bar Review
 
Mark,

Thank you very much for a quick response back to my post.
 
Page eight of "General Requirements Bulletin for Admission to the Examination for Registration to Practice in Patent Cases Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office" states that having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam you qualify to take the USPTO. You DO NOT need a B.S. degree.

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator: