Things you wish you knew when you started to study physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rodney182
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
21 replies · 3K views
Rodney182
Messages
9
Reaction score
5
Hi there! I'm a new member trying to self-study physics.

I apologise if this is in the wrong place on the forum. Feel free to lock or move the thread if so.

What are some things you wish you knew when you started learning physics? Or things about the world of science/physics that you wish someone had told you?

I am just trying to connect with new people about this passion of mine and get some opinions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Three pieces of advice:

Forget all popular science sources.

It's up to you to change the way you think. Science is not going to change to accommodate your preferences.

Be prepared to work hard.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DEvens, CalcNerd, pinball1970 and 1 other person
PeroK said:
Three pieces of advice:

Forget all popular science sources.

It's up to you to change the way you think. Science is not going to change to accommodate your preferences.

Be prepared to work hard.

What would be popular science sources? Do you mean generic pop-science books/documentaries?
 
Rodney182 said:
What would be popular science sources? Do you mean generic pop-science books/documentaries?
Yes, everything that is not a textbook or equivalent academic source.
 
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Rodney182 said:
What are some things you wish you knew when you started learning physics?
One of the most useful tips that I learned early in my study of Physics and Engineering is to carry units along in the equations you are writing and solving. If you ensure that your units match between terms and across the equal sign, it goes a long way toward helping you understand what is going on and avoiding mistakes.

It also helps in unit conversions, since you can multiply anything by "1" and not change its value. So to change units between, say, cm and meters, you multiply by ##1 = \frac{1m}{100cm}## so that the units of cm cancel out and you are left with units of meters and the corresponding new number.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: DEvens, Klystron, CalcNerd and 7 others
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:


One of the most useful tips that I learned early in my study of Physics and Engineering is to carry units along in the equations you are writing and solving. If you ensure that your units match between terms and across the equal sign, it goes a long way toward helping you understand what is going on and avoiding mistakes.

It also helps in unit conversions, since you can multiply anything by "1" and not change its value. So to change units between, say, cm and meters, you multiply by ##1 = \frac{1m}{100cm}## so that the units of cm cancel out and you are left with units of meters and the corresponding new number.

Ty! I will keep this in mind.
 
Rodney182 said:
What are some things you wish you knew when you started learning physics? Or things about the world of science/physics that you wish someone had told you?
What I'm about to say doesn't fall into the category of "what I wish I had known, or what I wish someone had told me", because it's what I actually did, what came naturally to me. Also what I'm about to say will be counter to the advice given by many here.

When you're starting out, don't drown yourself in math. Focus on observations and experiments. You've given us no background (such as age, education, and experiences). But you don't need expensive equipment to get started. Build mechanical, electrical, and electronic apparatus. Hook them up to computers. If you've got the money, buy basic instruments such as a microscope, telescope, and a balance. Don't just read physics problems in textbooks. Do actual hands-on observations and experiments. Try out a variety of fields. You'll find out what sparks your passion, and what puts you to sleep. Develop physical intuition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rodney182 and gmax137
What CrysPhys says in post #7 could be restated as, One should have well designed laboratory exercises. These are made available to college and university Physics students.

As to absolute beginners in Physics, much of the ideas and skills necessary would also be introduced very early in the one or two beginning courses (meaning, going to school, enrolling in and attending the courses). Basic algebra is necessary, at least up through all of Intermediate Algebra. Basic Trigonometry is also necessary, and your department may enforce these by directing the beginning students to enroll into a remedial course just to make students who are lacking to review and rebuild these; and students who do not follow that plan would be administratively dropped from their beginning Physics course.
 
symbolipoint said:
What CrysPhys says in post #7 could be restated as, One should have well designed laboratory exercises. These are made available to college and university Physics students.
No, your restatement is actually counter to the spirit of my Post #7. I'm an advocate of what some writers have expressed as "curiosity-driven science" . They aren't structured laboratory exercises geared towards college and university physics students.

Again, we lack key background information on the OP. But if you can't afford a microscope, start with a magnifier. If you can't afford a telescope, start with a pair of binoculars. If you can't afford an oscilloscope, start with a multimeter. ....

Some science can be done without specialized equipment at all, aptly named "kitchen science". Interested in phase transformations? Start by attempting to grow rock candy crystals from sucrose (ordinary sugar) solutions in water. Compare that with attempting to grow rock salt crystals from sodium chloride (ordinary table salt) solutions in water.

Whenever a newbie posts, "I've developed a passion for physics.", I often ask, "What triggerred this passion?". And quite often I get no answer, a nebulous answer, or even a hostile response. I'm looking for specific, concrete triggers. To me, passion for physics (or other science) starts with a moment (or moments) of wonderment. And the most glorious moments are often serendipitous.
 
Last edited:
  • Skeptical
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rodney182, PeroK and symbolipoint
Things I would tell my first year undergrad self...
  • Start thinking now about your long-term plan. Physics is an academic subject, and sure, you want to go as far as you can with it, but the odds of finding a tenured position are very much against you, so as you're selecting courses, think about what you want to do if and when you leave academia. What kind of skills do you want to develop? What kind of work will you want to do?
  • A school name is not nearly as important has how well you perform at the school you're at. If you fail out of a brand name/ivy league school, you've still failed out.
  • Explore. There are a lot of sub-fields of physics. Stretch yourself and don't just assume that because you enjoyed the popular science related on one sub-field that it's the only option for you.
  • Kindle your passion. Assignments will take up all of your time if you let them, but it's also important to make time for your own interests. Go to departmental talks, attend undergrad conferences, read papers (even if you don't understand them).
  • Building on that last point, take on some of your own projects. Try some coding. Do some physical experiments. Invest in a telescope.
  • Make friends with other people who share your passion. It's easy to lock yourself in a cubicle of solitude with earbuds and a textbook, but it's amazing how much learning happens when you're just chatting with other people, or working on problems together. If they're smarter than you... all the better.
  • Get involved in research of some sort. Summer research positions, thesis projects, etc. It doesn't have to be in the field you ultimately want to study. Take advantage of the opportunities in front of you.
  • Apply for any scholarship you qualify for.
  • Take good care of yourself.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, CalcNerd and berkeman
CrysPhys said:
Build mechanical, electrical, and electronic apparatus. Hook them up to computers.
Choppy said:
Building on that last point, take on some of your own projects. Try some coding. Do some physical experiments. Invest in a telescope.
I do have advice similar this that I give to Engineering students, but it may apply to Physics students as well. I agree that building projects helps a lot in your learning. When you build a project (circuit board, 3-D printed mechanical assembly, integrated circuit + computer interface and program, etc.), you run into all kinds of roadblocks that you need to deal with. You end up saying to yourself, "Wait a minute, they never warned me about this, they never taught me this...", and you learn to ask the right questions (of yourself and your instructors) when you are learning new things.

In undergrad I built a 2-D laser deflection mirror assembly for audio frequencies (picture dorm parties with Boston and Pink Floyd playing over the stereos), a digital alarm clock and an analog 5V & +/-12V power supply (UL compliant). One of my friends (who was amazing) built an AM/FM radio and simple 8-bit computer from scratch (discrete transistors and SSI ICs). You get the idea. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rodney182 and Choppy
See if you can find a used copy of A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching by Arnold B. Arons. Each section title of Chapter 1 will clue you in to which topics to study -- you'll likely need secondary sources for those.
 
CrysPhys said:
What I'm about to say doesn't fall into the category of "what I wish I had known, or what I wish someone had told me", because it's what I actually did, what came naturally to me. Also what I'm about to say will be counter to the advice given by many here.

When you're starting out, don't drown yourself in math. Focus on observations and experiments. You've given us no background (such as age, education, and experiences). But you don't need expensive equipment to get started. Build mechanical, electrical, and electronic apparatus. Hook them up to computers. If you've got the money, buy basic instruments such as a microscope, telescope, and a balance. Don't just read physics problems in textbooks. Do actual hands-on observations and experiments. Try out a variety of fields. You'll find out what sparks your passion, and what puts you to sleep. Develop physical intuition.

I'm 25! I have an IT-degree, although it's pretty entry level. And high school education, but unfortunately I never had science-related classes (even though I really wanted them). I have tons of experience with IT systems and it's kinda how I realised that I really like solving problems and finding things out.

I do like electrical engineering, I know a little bit of it, ultra-beginner. I have a multimeter and a soldering iron. Understanding how circuits worked and how to complete one and seeing it was really fun for me, like making a fan spin or moving the charge between one battery to another. It's seeing physics in action. I have a bunch of hoarded tech I'm sure I could do something with.

I just worry about what equipment I'm able to cheap out on and what you can't really cheap out on if you want it to work right, if that makes sense? I've wanted a telescope for ages, I just don't want to throw away money on one that won't work very well, but I can't afford a fancy one.
 
Herman Trivilino said:
See if you can find a used copy of A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching by Arnold B. Arons. Each section title of Chapter 1 will clue you in to which topics to study -- you'll likely need secondary sources for those.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
 
CrysPhys said:
No, your restatement is actually counter to the spirit of my Post #7. I'm an advocate of what some writers have expressed as "curiosity-driven science" . They aren't structured laboratory exercises geared towards college and university physics students.

Again, we lack key background information on the OP. But if you can't afford a microscope, start with a magnifier. If you can't afford a telescope, start with a pair of binoculars. If you can't afford an oscilloscope, start with a multimeter. ....

Some science can be done without specialized equipment at all, aptly named "kitchen science". Interested in phase transformations? Start by attempting to grow rock candy crystals from sucrose (ordinary sugar) solutions in water. Compare that with attempting to grow rock salt crystals from sodium chloride (ordinary table salt) solutions in water.

Whenever a newbie posts, "I've developed a passion for physics.", I often ask, "What triggerred this passion?". And quite often I get no answer, a nebulous answer, or even a hostile response. I'm looking for specific, concrete triggers. To me, passion for physics (or other science) starts with a moment (or moments) of wonderment. And the most glorious moments are often serendipitous.

I like this approach a lot. It's kind of how I try to navigate my life in general. I can't afford, or do a lot of things in my current situation - unemployed, physically disabled, and my disability leaves me housebound - so like you said, it comes to breaking down to what you can do right now.

My passion for physics started very young, I think. A group of professors came to our school when I was maybe seven or eight, and I watched a lecture about the moon. It left me with such wonder and awe that I'll never forget it. I remember re-reading articles about space in the newspapers over and over and watching every space or physics related program on Discovery (although I was so young, I couldn't follow it very well) since then.

Ever since then I've been wanting to know how the fundamental nature of the universe works, why things are. My father was also a man of science so he told me things that left me fascinated. I watched every documentary and pop science show on Discovery Channel but I got frustrated that they never actually told me the mechanics underneath, the math, the reasoning and so on - it's all very surface level.

As I stated above, my school didn't teach science subjects. But the spark never died; it just lived in whatever scraps I could get.

Since becoming an adult and getting the ability to self-study, I've been reading books about physics, trying to do a few free online courses, and finally chasing that passion. Hence my forum post :)

As for kitchen science - I was so absolutely into the idea of doing science experiments but was never really allowed. We did only a few, and those stuck with me. One was when my father and I were outside and I was trying to light a piece of paper with a magnifying lens in the sun on a hot day. He then told me that black colored surfaces heat faster. I didn't believe him. So he printed out a piece of paper with text on it in black, and put it in the sun, and it caught fire quicker than the white paper around it. That left me with so much awe, I still remember it very well.

Apologies if this post got a little bit long. It's more experiences like that that I'm after.
 
Choppy said:
Things I would tell my first year undergrad self...
  • Start thinking now about your long-term plan. Physics is an academic subject, and sure, you want to go as far as you can with it, but the odds of finding a tenured position are very much against you, so as you're selecting courses, think about what you want to do if and when you leave academia. What kind of skills do you want to develop? What kind of work will you want to do?
  • A school name is not nearly as important has how well you perform at the school you're at. If you fail out of a brand name/ivy league school, you've still failed out.
  • Explore. There are a lot of sub-fields of physics. Stretch yourself and don't just assume that because you enjoyed the popular science related on one sub-field that it's the only option for you.
  • Kindle your passion. Assignments will take up all of your time if you let them, but it's also important to make time for your own interests. Go to departmental talks, attend undergrad conferences, read papers (even if you don't understand them).
  • Building on that last point, take on some of your own projects. Try some coding. Do some physical experiments. Invest in a telescope.
  • Make friends with other people who share your passion. It's easy to lock yourself in a cubicle of solitude with earbuds and a textbook, but it's amazing how much learning happens when you're just chatting with other people, or working on problems together. If they're smarter than you... all the better.
  • Get involved in research of some sort. Summer research positions, thesis projects, etc. It doesn't have to be in the field you ultimately want to study. Take advantage of the opportunities in front of you.
  • Apply for any scholarship you qualify for.
  • Take good care of yourself.

Thank you for the practical tips!
 
berkeman said:
I do have advice similar this that I give to Engineering students, but it may apply to Physics students as well. I agree that building projects helps a lot in your learning. When you build a project (circuit board, 3-D printed mechanical assembly, integrated circuit + computer interface and program, etc.), you run into all kinds of roadblocks that you need to deal with. You end up saying to yourself, "Wait a minute, they never warned me about this, they never taught me this...", and you learn to ask the right questions (of yourself and your instructors) when you are learning new things.

In undergrad I built a 2-D laser deflection mirror assembly for audio frequencies (picture dorm parties with Boston and Pink Floyd playing over the stereos), a digital alarm clock and an analog 5V & +/-12V power supply (UL compliant). One of my friends (who was amazing) built an AM/FM radio and simple 8-bit computer from scratch (discrete transistors and SSI ICs). You get the idea. :smile:

I would absolutely love to build something from scratch with say, a Raspberri pi haha. I've considered building my own radio before as well but it seems pretty hard, I might start with something more simple, maybe a clock. Or an MP3 player... I miss old MP3 players.

A 2-D laser deflection mirror - sounds complex, but really really cool!
 
Rodney182 said:
I would absolutely love to build something from scratch

Build a Dobsonian telescope!
 
First: Do not neglect your communication skills, your interpersonal skills. It is exceedingly unlikely you will be the only person working on a topic. You are most probably going to need to talk to people about your work. In academe you need to publish, you need to give talks to audiences, you need to teach. (Unless you get a job in some kind of "think tank" type place.) In industry you need to write memos and explain to your boss and the boss of your boss. In either, you probably need to explain to somebody why you should get money to do some project.

You need to be able to disagree with somebody and not cause them to become enraged with you.

I spent my academic life studying physics with just those other classes required by the degree requirements. I never took a class on inter personal skills. Then I had a personality clash with a manager and it held back my career a lot, nearly ended it. I missed several opportunities because I had needlessly created enemies. Eventually I had to change jobs to get out from under the cloud.

So I took a class in inter personal skills at the continuing education school of the local "cow college." It made a lot of difference.

The second main thing: I learned this my first year in undergrad. I tried to "drink from the fire hose." My first year I had 44 contact hours per week, including labs and tutorials. I took 8 courses when the suggested was 7. Each class had 3 hours of lecture, 1 hour of tutorial, and the science courses (for of them) had 3 hours of lab. It was too much. You should cut that back.

Third: Do not neglect your physical health. Use the school gym regularly. Find out what medical programs are paid for as part of your tuition and make use of them. Eat as healthy as you can.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino and berkeman
In my experience everything @DEvens told us in Post #19 is oft-neglected essential advice. Employers are looking for people who know how to work in groups to solve problems. The lab portions of your undergrad science courses are excellent opportunities to practice these skills. Of course learning the subject matter is the main goal of those labs but learning to work in groups is almost of equal if not greater importance.

And to do that you need communication skills, both written and verbal. Those skills will be noticed and appreciated by your professors, TA's, and prospective employers; and will help propel you towards success.
 
Last edited:
PeroK said:
Three pieces of advice:

Forget all popular science sources.

It's up to you to change the way you think. Science is not going to change to accommodate your preferences.

Be prepared to work hard.
Sometime it's good to have a break from reading technical literature, so pop science isn't so bad. It's better than the other novel books that are out there, at least that's my preference. My mum all the time reads history books on WWII or some soap opera type of books, as a bloke I cannot read such books. (I couldn't read them in HS and I can't now as a mature geezer).

There are many good pop books for beginners and more advanced people.
 
  • Skeptical
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino and berkeman
DEvens said:
First: Do not neglect your communication skills, your interpersonal skills. It is exceedingly unlikely you will be the only person working on a topic. You are most probably going to need to talk to people about your work. In academe you need to publish, you need to give talks to audiences, you need to teach. (Unless you get a job in some kind of "think tank" type place.) In industry you need to write memos and explain to your boss and the boss of your boss. In either, you probably need to explain to somebody why you should get money to do some project.

You need to be able to disagree with somebody and not cause them to become enraged with you.

I spent my academic life studying physics with just those other classes required by the degree requirements. I never took a class on inter personal skills. Then I had a personality clash with a manager and it held back my career a lot, nearly ended it. I missed several opportunities because I had needlessly created enemies. Eventually I had to change jobs to get out from under the cloud.

So I took a class in inter personal skills at the continuing education school of the local "cow college." It made a lot of difference.

The second main thing: I learned this my first year in undergrad. I tried to "drink from the fire hose." My first year I had 44 contact hours per week, including labs and tutorials. I took 8 courses when the suggested was 7. Each class had 3 hours of lecture, 1 hour of tutorial, and the science courses (for of them) had 3 hours of lab. It was too much. You should cut that back.

Third: Do not neglect your physical health. Use the school gym regularly. Find out what medical programs are paid for as part of your tuition and make use of them. Eat as healthy as you can.

Thank you for this advice. I actually find the communication and styles of communication one of the most interesting things I've learned as I go. I can definitely see how it will help - learning communication in general has made my life a lot better.

I have a friend who's halfway to his PhD and he's saying he struggles to express himself and explain very well. So I understand it's a barrier.

The advice on not taking too many classes rings true as well. I remember thinking my previous course already had so many.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint