Can Mediation Resolve the Clash Between Allies Over the Flotilla Incident?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    article
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,348
Reaction score
124
Today's WSJ has a well-written and informative account of the flotilla incident/attack/provocation:
WSJ said:
The U.S. is trying to mediate a continuing clash between two of its key allies in the region over who should accept primary guilt—Israel, or the Istanbul-based charity known as IHH, the Humanitarian Relief Foundation. Turkey says it will cut ties with Israel if it doesn't accept an international investigation of the deaths or issue an official apology. Mr. Netanyahu has declined.

Israel says the IHH is a jihadi front with links to Hamas, which Israel lists as a terrorist organization. It says the group set out with the flotilla in late May with the specific goal of forcing a confrontation that would trigger international pressure on Israel to end its blockade of the Gaza strip.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704535004575349031510961398.html
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to edit the article, it violated copyright.

Please post what you wish to discuss.
 
And how, exactly, is the following documented:
In the five weeks since Israeli commandos boarded a Gaza-bound aid flotilla on May 31, sparking a clash that left nine dead, an accumulation of video footage, witness testimony and reports has fleshed out a narrative that shows both sides fueled the bloodshed.
While the video footage shows that on every verifiable point, the IDF has spoken the truth, while the initial claims from IHH and its supporters are shown to be complete..lies.

It could have been different, but it isn't.
 
arildno said:
While the video footage shows that on every verifiable point, the IDF has spoken the truth, while the initial claims from IHH and its supporters are shown to be complete..lies.
That's been my impression since the beginning, until I read the last paragraph of the WSJ article, describing two ISF soldiers kicking someone apparently lying on the deck, one then firing "several shots toward the ground from his rifle at point-blank range."

WSJ relates this to a Turkish forensic report on a US-born participant on the flotilla, which reportedly concluded that he was "shot five times at a range of 18 inches."

BTW, I'm not an IHH member or supporter.

[I've just realized that one needs to subscribe to see the entire article, including the parts Evo rightly deleted.]
 
1. A Turkish forensic report is of minimal value, since the doctors would have been killed by their atrocious government if they made a report that clearly contradicted what the Official Version was supposed to look like.

Truth is the first to disappear when people live in fear of the lives of themselves or their dear ones.

2. Furethermore, and crucial:
Where is this video of the to IDF soldiers purportedly emptying their rifles behind some obstacle?
I haven't seen it anywhere.
 
arildno said:
1. A Turkish forensic report is of minimal value, since the doctors would have been killed by their atrocious government if they made a report that clearly contradicted what the Official Version was supposed to look like.
This may or may not be true in this specific case, I have no idea. While Turkish governments have harassed independent forensic experts by bringing lawsuits against them, there is reason to think that in most cases justice has prevailed: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/humanrights/PGA_051791

Nevertheless, I applaud your skepticism, which is why I also support the call for an independent review of both sides' claims in this affair.
2. Furethermore, and crucial:
Where is this video of the to IDF soldiers purportedly emptying their rifles behind some obstacle?
I haven't seen it anywhere.
I googled it; it is available here: http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2010/06/10/idf-executed-mavi-marmara-victims/

The WSJ article has been posted in its entirety here: http://www.unitedjerusalem.org/index2.asp?id=1384153
 
Last edited: