Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can other people attend college seminars and colloquium?

1. Jun 25, 2006 #1
    can other people attend college seminars and colloquiums?

Hello everyone,
    I'm wondering whether students not enrolled in a college can attend seminars and colloquiums in Colleges. It doesn't say whether others can or cannot, and also there're no rsvp's under any informations. How is it at your colllege?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One normally makes a request to the professor who is responsible for the seminar, colloquium or class. I audited a class with permission from the professor. The policies for such activities vary among universities, but it is pretty much up to the discretion of the responsible professor.

4. Jun 25, 2006 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like the sort of thing we would only have an official policy on if a lot of people started doing it. I occasionally see members of the general public sit in on our colloquia and, as far as I know, nobody bothers them. However, if they began asking a lot of questions or filling a lot of the seats, I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to attend.

5. Jun 25, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's a seminar and not a course (i.e., doesn't require enrollment and/or tuition payment), and is advertised via flyers, yes, you can attend. They'll only complain if you show up early and eat all the cookies before anyone else gets there. Then you'll be facing the wrath of the starving grad students. :devil:

6. Jun 25, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Send an email to the faculty contact mentioned on the flyer and humbly request permission to quietly seat yourself among the uberlords.

7. Jun 25, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've attended classes/courses themselves at other universities here in Ontario. I wouldn't recommend it though.

I've also used the internet at other universities too. When I'm out of town and need the internet, I just go to the nearest university, which is usually in that town.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?