Can other people attend college seminars and colloquium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter heartless
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    College
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
heartless
Messages
220
Reaction score
2
can other people attend college seminars and colloquiums?

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering whether students not enrolled in a college can attend seminars and colloquiums in Colleges. It doesn't say whether others can or cannot, and also there're no rsvp's under any informations. How is it at your colllege?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One normally makes a request to the professor who is responsible for the seminar, colloquium or class. I audited a class with permission from the professor. The policies for such activities vary among universities, but it is pretty much up to the discretion of the responsible professor.
 
heartless said:
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering whether students not enrolled in a college can attend seminars and colloquiums in Colleges. It doesn't say whether others can or cannot, and also there're no rsvp's under any informations. How is it at your colllege?

That sounds like the sort of thing we would only have an official policy on if a lot of people started doing it. I occasionally see members of the general public sit in on our colloquia and, as far as I know, nobody bothers them. However, if they began asking a lot of questions or filling a lot of the seats, I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to attend.
 
If it's a seminar and not a course (i.e., doesn't require enrollment and/or tuition payment), and is advertised via flyers, yes, you can attend. They'll only complain if you show up early and eat all the cookies before anyone else gets there. Then you'll be facing the wrath of the starving grad students. :devil:
 
Send an email to the faculty contact mentioned on the flyer and humbly request permission to quietly seat yourself among the uberlords.
 
I've attended classes/courses themselves at other universities here in Ontario. I wouldn't recommend it though.

I've also used the internet at other universities too. When I'm out of town and need the internet, I just go to the nearest university, which is usually in that town.