Can Rayleigh–Bénard Convection Be Observed at Home?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convection
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jbreezy
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I was trying to see if anyone knew a site where I could find directions on how to do Rayleigh–Bénard convection from home. I found this book on google books and it started to tell me then the pages jumped from 6 to 9. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean observe the convection or model the convection? For modeling, you can't do much better than to start with Chandrasekhar's "Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability" (Dover). For an experimental system, it's not hard- a large flat-bottomed pan partially filled with water and placed on a hot plate or stovetop. Getting good visibility isn't too hard- these folks used shampoo:

http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/flowvis/galleries/2010/Team-3/Reports/Lisenker_Ilya.pdf
 
DUDE! Just to observe! Thanks so much you made my day! THANKS THANKS THANKS!