Can surface area of revolution around x-axis be negative?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bachelier
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Can the Surface area of a revolution be NEGATIVE? I am calculating this in parametric equations?

finally I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
Can the Surface area of a revolution be NEGATIVE? I am calculating this in parametric equations?

finally I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

Yes.

It is quite common for negative areas to show up in some context when you distinguish the inside and the outside of a surface. Depending on how you set up the formulae, you may have a case like this. Depending on what you are trying to find, you may need to alter the formula.

Cheers -- sylas