1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can the information of the whole universe change?

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1
    They say that the universe started with low entropy, which is a certain amount of information. But I wonder how the information associated with the whole universe can change. By definition nothing can ever leaves or enters the universe as a whole. And if nothing ever enters or leaves a system, then where does the source of increase in information or entropy come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think the answer is that the universe is governed by quantum mechanics, and quantum mechanics is not deterministic, but inherently probabilistic. Every quantum interaction has a set of possibilities, but eventually only one is realized. Every time this happens, information is added to the universe as a whole.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    Aren't there quantum processes that have an infinite number of possible outcomes, like exactly where a particle strikes a screen in a two slit experiment? What's the entropy of those kinds of processes where the likelihood of one outcome is infinitesimal? Then multiply that by every interaction in the universe.

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4
    I don't think entropy and information are things, they're more like metadata about events that can occur (entropy) or have occurred (information).

See Wikipedia's article Entropy (arrow of time):
    If the universe is not an isolated system as proposed in Loop quantum cosmology, then things may be leaving it through black holes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted