Can This Definition of Pi Work in More Abstract Algebras?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition Pi Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Gerenuk
Messages
1,027
Reaction score
5
I quite like the following definition of pi and I wonder which minimal algebraic rules are needed to make this definition work?

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{a}{n}\right)^n=1[/tex]
[tex]\therefore |a|=2\pi k[/tex]

(For example, are there algebras more general than complex numbers, where this works?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the quaternions [itex]e^{2\pi u} = 1[/itex] where [itex]u[/itex] is any quaternion with [itex]u^2 = -1[/itex]
 
So quaternions probably also work.

Any more abstract algebra? Hmm, what do I need? I need addition, multiplication, scalar division, limiting process and modulus, right? What has to be fulfilled as to yield pi then?