1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you bring a dependent abroad for Ph. D.?

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    I'm considering of getting a Ph.D. abroad, but I have a dependent (my mother) who needs someone to look after her. Are there schools that offer Ph. D. scholarship and would allow me to bring my mom? I asked everyone around and they say it would be really difficult, if not impossible. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your first hurdle won't be the school, but rather the government. You don't say where "abroad" is, but in the US, for example, parents of students on a J-1 visa are not eligible for a J-2 (dependent of student) visa.

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To re-emphasize what Vanadium has said, this is an immigration issue, not an academic issue. You need to consult the consulate or embassy of the country you wish to go to and check the laws and regulation of that country. None of us here are qualified to answer that, and you also shouldn't base your decision on what you read on here.

Zz.

5. Nov 14, 2014 #4
    Thanks for your replies. Hm, anyway, I am still working on my MS degree, I still have 1 yr to look for Phd opportunities. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook