Can you bring out the delta x constant?

In summary: So essentially, the derivative of the integral of f(x) with respect to x is equal to the function f(x) itself.In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of the derivative of the integral of a function with respect to itself. The participants debated whether or not this was a legal operation and clarified the use of constants such as e and pi in this context. They also discussed the fundamental theorem of calculus and its corresponding graph, and the relationship between delta x and dx. The conversation concluded with an explanation of how the derivative of the sum of f(x) values is equal to the function f(x) itself.
RandomMystery
Is this legal? I assumed that delta x is a constant that is approaching zero. So I brought it out. When I took the derivative, the delta x canceled out with the denominator. So I'm left with the derivative of the intergral of f(x) with respect to itself. So I'm essentially trying to find the rate of change of the sum of all the f(x) values which should equal f(x).

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex...ace;f(x)=&space;d\int&space;f(x)=&space;f(x)"

This link should work ^.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RandomMystery said:
Is this legal?
No. For one thing, it's not [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in the integral: it's dx. For another thing, something that is constant doesn't change, so it can't be approaching some number.
RandomMystery said:
I assumed that delta x is a constant that is approaching zero. So I brought it out. When I took the derivative, the delta x canceled out with the denominator. So I'm left with the derivative of the intergral of f(x) with respect to itself. So I'm essentially trying to find the rate of change of the sum of all the f(x) values which should equal f(x).

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex...ace;f(x)=&space;d\int&space;f(x)=&space;f(x)"

This link should work ^.

Mark44 said:
No. For one thing, it's not [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in the integral: it's dx. For another thing, something that is constant doesn't change, so it can't be approaching some number.

Sorry, I'm assuming that the change in x is approaching zero. So I retyped it:

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex...x)=&space;\int&space;f(x)&space;=&space;f(x)"

If a constant number can't be approaching some number, then why can we use e and pi? Since in calculating them we always approach some number although not zero. I know that e = the limit of (1+r/n)^n as n approaches infinity. Why can't I do the same thing for a function that approaches zero?

Actually doesn't dx equal zero in this scenario?
According to Wikipedia " The fundamental Theorem of Calculus"

(limit as h approaches zero will get the actual integral)
3198baf3dc56efafad5cd277b2457dad.png

Which corresponds to the graph found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus"

And if you look at the graph
h = the instantaneous change in x = dx = 0 (we know from derivatives that h is zero since it's instantaneous)

What I want to know is if this argument is true:
http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?d\int&space;f(x)&space;=&space;f(x)"
It seems to make sense that the derivative of the anti derivative of a function is the function (with the exclusion of the C constant)

What I think that the equation up there ^ says is that the rate of change of the sum of f(x) with respect to (f(x) maybe?)
- I think this has to do with the absolute derivative or absolute integral which I'm not too sure about.

Another point I don't understand is the need for a dx at the end of the integral. What would happen if we took it off? Would it not simply change from area into the sum of all the lengths (f(x)'s)?

If this is true, then why does the instantaneous rate of change of the sum of all the f(x)'s equal f(x)?

(Edit: Oh, is it because the f(x) is the actual length being added at that instant! Hence! instantaneous rate of change of the sum! Thank you!)

What if we did the integral of f(x) except we subbed in df(x) instead of dx?
(Edit: Nevermind the statement above ^, the sentence above it answers it :b...)

RandomMystery said:
Sorry, I'm assuming that the change in x is approaching zero. So I retyped it:

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex...x)=&space;\int&space;f(x)&space;=&space;f(x)"

If a constant number can't be approaching some number, then why can we use e and pi?
e and pi are constants, much the same as 2 and 0 are.
RandomMystery said:
Since in calculating them we always approach some number although not zero.
I know that e = the limit of (1+r/n)^n as n approaches infinity.
Actually that limit converges to er, not e. I think you might be confusing two different things: an expression that is changing (such as (1 + r/n)^n as n changes, and the limit of that expression.
RandomMystery said:
Why can't I do the same thing for a function that approaches zero?

Actually doesn't dx equal zero in this scenario?
No.
RandomMystery said:
According to Wikipedia " The fundamental Theorem of Calculus"

(limit as h approaches zero will get the actual integral)
3198baf3dc56efafad5cd277b2457dad.png

Which corresponds to the graph found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus"

And if you look at the graph
h = the instantaneous change in x = dx = 0 (we know from derivatives that h is zero since it's instantaneous)

While it's true that the derivative of the antiderivative of an integrable function is the function itself, the proof is more complicated than what you are doing.

Mark44 said:
e and pi are constants, much the same as 2 and 0 are.
Actually that limit converges to er, not e. I think you might be confusing two different things: an expression that is changing (such as (1 + r/n)^n as n changes, and the limit of that expression.

I'm using [delta x = dx] which is the expression (x2 - x1). The limit of the change in x approaches zero, so it converges into zero. (edit: the derivative is this limit)
(What do you mean that e converges to er? I thought it converged to 2.718281...)

The integral is a modification of the summation or sigma notation right? If you notice the sigma notation, every f(x) value is being multiplied by delta x or dx. Since all of these delta x and dx approach the same limit, I can treat them all as the same constant, just like e, and factor it outside of the sigma.

What's left is the summation of every f(x) value which is infinity times the delta x or dx which is zero. So,in a way, this infinity is essentially being multiplied by zero ( delta x times the sum of f(x) ).

So when we do the derivative of, the sum of the f(x) values times delta x or dx, with respect to x - the delta x or dx cancels out, and your left with the derivative of the sum of f(x) values.

We can interpret [the derivative of the sum of f(x) values] as the instantaneous rate of change in the sum of all the f(x) values, which we know is f(x) because it is the instantaneous sum (or value) being added, or in other words the instantaneous change.

So can I bring out the delta x or dx in the integral? From my interpretation the integral function does the sum of all the values between two points, we then multiply it by delta x to get the "area" (actually the integral). Since delta x can be treated as the limit of some function (just like e is the limit of (1 + r/n)^n) it can also be treated as constant. Since it is a constant, we can put it inside the integral, and put it right behind f(x).

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the delta x constant in scientific research?

The delta x constant, also known as the change in x, is a crucial variable in many scientific experiments and calculations. It represents the difference or change in a given quantity or variable, and is often used to measure the rate of change or the sensitivity of a system.

2. How do you calculate the delta x constant?

The delta x constant can be calculated by taking the difference between two values of a variable, and dividing it by the change in time or another relevant unit. The formula for calculating delta x is (x2 - x1) / (t2 - t1), where x represents the variable and t represents time.

3. Can the delta x constant be negative?

Yes, the delta x constant can be negative. This occurs when there is a decrease or downward change in the variable being measured. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the delta x constant in calculations, as it can affect the interpretation of the results.

4. How is the delta x constant used in physics?

In physics, the delta x constant is often used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other important quantities. It is also used in the study of motion and forces, as it helps to determine the rate of change of a system.

5. Is the delta x constant the same as the uncertainty in a measurement?

No, the delta x constant and uncertainty are two different concepts. The delta x constant represents a specific change or difference in a variable, while uncertainty refers to the range of possible values for a measurement. However, the delta x constant can be used to calculate uncertainty in some cases.