Canadian graduate schools for theoretical high energy physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bennett19
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So I am just finishing my undergraduate degree in physics (actually physics and math) and now must choose a graduate school to attend. I am most interested in pursuing high energy physics (theoretical) and was wondering what schools in Canada would you recommend for that area. I heard McGill is good but also very selective. Which leads to my second question. I did very mediocre my first year and unfortunately, I have had a lot a bad luck as every semester i had at least one instance where 2 midterms were on the same day (once 3) with almost no time between them (like Intro Real Analysis and Quantum Mechanics, i mean honestly!). I also had a heart problem arise. As such, although most my marks are between A- and A+ (actually all 4th year level courses are) a have a handful of B's and B+'s in addition to a poor first year. With a research project and good references, who mention the heart problem, how are my chances for admission at McGill anyway?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With good research projects and references, and hopefully good test scores, those grades should be fine for any school---its the whole package that counts, not a single aspect. UBC has great physics, and you should look into any institution that works-with or is-associated-with the perimeter institute.