Carly Fiorina: McCain/Palin couldn't run a corporation

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Fiorina made a huge political mistake and I don't think she'll be a big player in the upcoming election.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...asked by a St. Louis radio station today whether she thought McCain's running mate Sarah Palin could run a big company like her, Fiorina flubbed her answer.

"No, I don't," Fiorina replied. "But that's not what she's running for. Running a corporation is a different set of things."

Later on MSNBC, she tried to explain herself, but managed to make things worse. "I don't think John McCain could run a major corporation," she said.continued]
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/09/fiorina_flubs_r.html

Which would be worse: To let her go or to keep her? Either way, this was a very bad day for McCain and I suspect that we won't be seeing much more of Fiorina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe McPalin will toss focus back to Wright?

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/09/fiorina_flubs_r.html

Which would be worse: To let her go or to keep her? Either way, this was a very bad day for McCain and I suspect that we won't be seeing much more of Fiorina.

All I can note is that Carly is knowledgeable about not being able to run a corporation.

What corporation is Carly running now?

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, I hope she is hiding in a basement closet right now, horrible mistake lol

Ivan Seeking said:
Which would be worse:
Worse would be Joe Lieberman IMHO.

I believe that a president and vice president should have their undivided allegiance to the United States and be fully committed to serve its interests above the interests of all other nations.

I have my doubts in this respect about Joe Lieberman, I think he would have no qualms to bring physical or economic harm or even destruction to the USA if it would help Israel.

Poor Carly, after being shamefully ousted from HP after almost destroying it, she turns up with McCain. The poor woman has nowhere left to go.

Evo said:
Poor Carly, after being shamefully ousted from HP after almost destroying it, she turns up with McCain. The poor woman has nowhere left to go.

Maybe Nader needs help. The poor guy is having conversations with his parrot. :rofl:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=256843

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Worse would be Joe Lieberman IMHO.

I believe that a president and vice president should have their undivided allegiance to the United States and be fully committed to serve its interests above the interests of all other nations.

I have my doubts in this respect about Joe Lieberman, I think he would have no qualms to bring physical or economic harm or even destruction to the USA if it would help Israel.

Lieberman and allegiance after his Republican convention performance apparently aren't on speaking terms.

Forget his loyalty to Israel. I no longer know what the man believes in other than his own self interest.

Lieberman who? Is that a cartoon character?

I think it is noteworthy that Fiorina made a huge mistake politically, but she clearly meant what she said. I wonder how this is going to play in the corporate world.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think it is noteworthy that Fiorina made a huge mistake politically, but she clearly meant what she said. I wonder how this is going to play in the corporate world.

It's not like corporate America is clamoring for the services of the overpriced Fiorina.

LowlyPion said:
It's not like corporate America is clamoring for the services of the overpriced Fiorina.

I have no idea what her reputation is in the corporate world. These CEOs seem to escape accountablity for their failures. In fact they usually receive huge rewards for them. But what strikes me most is that many Republicans essentially want a CEO, not a President. In fact Bush has been call America's CEO. Given this mentality, how does it spin when one of their own, and a person close to McCain, declares him to to be unqualified?

She can say all she wants about Obama, but she doesn't even know him.

Though there is precious little actual analysis of the incident in this thread, this makes a decent jumping-off point:
Ivan Seeking said:
I think it is noteworthy that Fiorina made a huge mistake politically, but she clearly meant what she said.
There are several basic points to be gleaned from the incident:

1. She meant what she said.
2. She made a political mistake.
3. By making the political mistake, she proved the corollary to her statement (CEOs don't necessarily make good politicians).
4. She's probably right!

Did you hear her snicker when she answered the first time? The implied answer is 'Heh - yeah, right :rolleyes: Of course not!' But politicians can't say things like that because people react to the delivery without actually examining the statement.

So while politically it is a mistake, I wish people in the media, the general public, and even in politics forums on otherwise scholarly sites could actually examine and take in such statements. I'm not naive enough to believe it possible, but this is the reason that political campaigns are reduced to mere marketing campaigns. There is no room for depth when people are driven by knee-jerk emotional reaction.
But what strikes me most is that many Republicans essentially want a CEO, not a President. In fact Bush has been call America's CEO.
That's a label Democrats use to ridicule him, not a Republican position. Nevertheless, he is an MBA and some people value that. Cynically, I'd say that the primary function of Presidents and today's stereotypical CEO's are identical (keeping their numbers up as long as they can, until they escape), but to me that makes it a bad idea to have someone who thinks like a CEO in such offices. What you really want is the founder-owner type. The type who treats his company like his baby/family and takes a personal interest in its success.

The thing about the Presidency is that no one is ever really qualified for it. There is far too much to know. That's what makes appointing good advisers and listening to them so important. And that irked me about the last two presidents: Clinton picked like-minded sycophants. Bush picked high profile experts - and then ignored them.

Ivan Seeking said:
She can say all she wants about Obama, but she doesn't even know him.
Nor do I, nor do you - but we all do. That's politics.

1. What is the context behind Carly Fiorina's statement about McCain/Palin not being able to run a corporation?

Carly Fiorina, a former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, made this statement while campaigning for Senator John McCain during the 2008 presidential election. This statement was in response to criticism of her own tenure at HP and was meant to highlight the fact that she believed Senator McCain and Governor Palin were not qualified to lead a large corporation.

2. Is there any evidence to support Carly Fiorina's claim about McCain and Palin's ability to run a corporation?

No, there is no evidence to support this claim. Both Senator McCain and Governor Palin have held leadership positions in government and private sectors and have been successful in their respective roles. Additionally, the statement was made during a political campaign and may have been influenced by personal biases and opinions rather than factual evidence.

3. What qualifications does Carly Fiorina have to make this statement about running a corporation?

Carly Fiorina has a background in business and was the CEO of one of the largest technology companies in the world, Hewlett-Packard. She also has experience in politics, having served as an economic advisor to Senator McCain during his 2008 presidential campaign. However, her statement about running a corporation was made during a political campaign and may not necessarily reflect her expertise in business management.

4. How did the public and media respond to Carly Fiorina's statement?

The response to Carly Fiorina's statement was mixed. Some praised her for her honesty and willingness to speak her mind, while others criticized her for being out of touch with the realities of running a corporation. The media also covered this statement extensively, with some outlets questioning its validity and others using it as a talking point during the election.

5. Has Carly Fiorina addressed or clarified her statement about McCain/Palin's ability to run a corporation?

In interviews after the 2008 election, Carly Fiorina clarified that her statement was not meant to be a criticism of Senator McCain or Governor Palin's abilities, but rather a reflection of her own experiences and the challenges of running a large corporation. She also stated that she believed both McCain and Palin had the potential to be successful leaders and praised their efforts during the campaign.