Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carrie Fisher, Actress of Princess Leia, Dies at 60

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

More at http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/carrie-fisher-princess-leia-in-star-wars-dead-at-60-w457713

You will be missed, Carrie Fisher.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

That is incredibly sad news! :cry: My condolences to her family for this loss.

On a related note, this does raise the question of what would happen to the Princess Leia character in the future Star Wars movies with the loss of Fisher, as the Force Awakens leave open the possibility that the Leia character will play a critical role.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

My best guess is that they'll make her CGI like they did with Tarkin in Rogue One or do what Star Trek did when Leonard Nimoy died; they were open that he died but they worked that in the story.

5. Dec 27, 2016 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This year just keeps on taking :(
    Enough already.

6. Dec 27, 2016 #5
    Cyc2FyfUkAAtWT3.jpg

7. Dec 27, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wow...CPR during a landing. That is not easy.

I really liked her as Jake's ex in The Blues Brothers. "My father used up his last favor from 'Mad Pete' Trullo..."

8. Dec 27, 2016 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what I read she had completed shooting episode VIII. For episode IX they probably have some time to work it out. If they decide to take the CGI path I hope they do a better job than they did with Tarkin (and her!) in Rogue One...

9. Dec 28, 2016 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I haven't seen Rogue One yet, but I have heard from reviews that the CGI image of Tarkin was quite impressive. I was wondering if you would care to comment more on this.

10. Dec 28, 2016 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Impressive, yes. Could you still tell it was computer generated? Definitely.

11. Dec 28, 2016 #10
    I think it was a mistake because it took me out of the scene as I examined his face.

12. Dec 28, 2016 #11
  13. Dec 28, 2016 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

14. Jan 1, 2017 #13

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Jan 1, 2017 #14

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Been watching a lot of Family Guy lately. Carrie Fisher voices the character of Angela, Peter Griffin's supervisor at the Pawtucket Brewery.

latest?cb=20090813141058.jpg

One funny thing is that Family Guy has done the [arguably] best parodies of the Star Wars franchise. Although Princess Leia was assumed by Lois Griffin (voiced by Alex Borstien), Carrie Fisher voiced a different, minor character in their Return of the Jedi parody*.

*There might have been only two women in this particular galaxy, Carrie Fisher voicing the part of the one other woman besides Leia.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  16. Jan 3, 2017 #15

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There are already memes with JJAbrams stating something like "Sigh, I killed the wrong character".

RIP Princess Leia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted