Cartoon strips that survived after their originators

• Art
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, several cartoon strips that have continued for a long time have had distinct drawing styles. Drawing style is not as important as the content of the strip in determining its longevity.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
The drawing styles in newspaper cartoon strips are as distinct as handwriting. What are cartoon strips that have (or have not) survived longer than their originator's? How much of the survival was based on drawing style and how much on the content?

I recall that the strip "Peanuts" continued for a short time after the death of Charles Shulz, but it looked different and was soon replaced by re-publication of old Peanuts cartoons.

The originator of "Dilbert" occasionally has the strip drawn by guest artists.

Several artists draw the cartoon strip "Blondie". I notice slight differences in their styles, but the differences aren't jarring. It think this is remarkable given the idiosyncrasies involved in drawing Blondie's hair and eyes.

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that's due to other artists. Charlie Brown's head turned from oblate to spherical while Schultz was drawing it.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Dik Browne passed Hagar the Horrible on to his son who has been doing the strip since '89.

I think you can add "Prince Valiant" and "Beetle Bailey" to that list. I have noticed a distinct change in tone of "Wizard of Id" and "B. C.", but I don't know for sure that another person has taken over either of those strips.

Though rarely seen in strips these days, the original Marvel pantheon including the Incredible Hulk, Amazing Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, The Avengers and old Captain Marvel, himself; survive the passing of their originators.

The FF are actually an amalgam of individual old-time comic strips Plastic Man, the Human Torch, Invisible Girl ('cause, ya' know, no clothes while sleuthing) teamed with a "more likable" Hulk; according to Stan Lee.

On firmer ground the Detective Comics (DC) sci-fi superheroes Superman, Batman and Catwoman, Flash and company appeared as individual strips and books at least back to the 1930's. BTW the label 'detective' refers to the nature of the typical adventure comic strip as well as actual detectives such as Dick Tracy. Also common to mystery novels, a main character becomes 'our detective' in order to solve the mystery.

Back to modern comic strips, the entertaining 'suburbs through the eye of a child' and endearing comic strip Cul de Sac outlives its creator Richard Thompson.

Piraro is turning Bizarro over to Wayno.

Stephen Tashi said:
I recall that the strip "Peanuts" continued for a short time after the death of Charles Shultz, but it looked different and was soon replaced by re-publication of old Peanuts cartoons.

Are you sure of this? Shultz didn't want anyone else drawing his strip. Shultz's art looked different in the last year or so due to his stroke. Could it have been this you saw?

1. What are some examples of cartoon strips that have survived after their originators?

Some examples include "Peanuts" by Charles M. Schulz, "Garfield" by Jim Davis, "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson, "Dilbert" by Scott Adams, and "The Far Side" by Gary Larson.

2. How have these cartoon strips continued after their originators retired or passed away?

In most cases, the cartoon strips have been continued by other artists or writers who were chosen by the originators themselves. They were given permission to continue the strip and maintain its original style and tone.

3. Have there been any changes to the cartoon strips after their originators left?

In some cases, there have been minor changes to the art style or characters, but for the most part, the new artists have stayed true to the original vision of the originators.

4. What factors contribute to the success of these cartoon strips even after their originators are no longer involved?

The success of these cartoon strips can be attributed to their timeless humor and relatable characters. They have also become a part of popular culture and have a strong fan base that continues to support them.

5. Are there any concerns about the future of these cartoon strips without their originators?

While there may be some concerns about the future of these cartoon strips, the fact that they have survived for so long after their originators left is a testament to their enduring popularity. As long as there are dedicated artists and writers who are committed to maintaining the integrity of the strips, they will continue to entertain audiences for years to come.