Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CBS: Wit and wisdom like you won't believe (headline pun?)

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/23/world/main5331950.shtml?tag=stack

For those who don't know, Qaddafi is the Libyan leader who brought much international outcrying against himself for allowing the Pan-Am bomber the Scottish released to be welcomed back with a big party. With that said, let's check out the headline

Seriously guys? Have we truly fallen so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    I think its cute. We take our selves too seriously sometimes.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    http://awearnessblog.com/20090825_qadaffi_250x250.jpg [Broken]

Every time I see this guy I think 80s rock star that's snorted wayyyy too much cocaine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    lol @ terrorism council.

6. Sep 25, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't thought of it that way before Cyrus, but now that you mention it I'm sure I'll notice it every time.

Statutory, what bothers me about the headline is that it's one step away from something like:

Courtroom explodes at suicide bomber's testimony

Or some other similar pun whose only humor value lies in the fact that it's pointing out that a person did a terrible, terrible thing. While I don't instantly condemn those kinds of jokes, and probably make them myself once in a while, I think the media should hold itself to a higher standard of humor than making jokes about how someone was killed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook