Chemical equation for glucose osazone and limiting reactants

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, a while ago, I did a lab that had me get glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4). Now, I am trying to calculate the theoretical mass of the osazone. The chemical equations goes as follows:

C6-H5-N2-H3*HCl + Na-C2-H3-O2*H2-O ------> C6-H5-N2-H3 + H-C2-H3-O2 + Na-Cl + 3(H2-O)

After that:
    C6-H12-O6 + 3(C6-H5-N2-H3) --------> C18-H22-N4-O4 + C6-H5-N-H2 + N-H3 + 2(H2-O)

I found the limiting reactants in the first equation for Phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3), but the thing is, in the second equation, 2 mols of phenylhydrazine gets used for osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and water, and the third mole decomposes into the ammonia (N-H3) and aniline (C6-H5-N-H2). So the part I am having trouble is, should I use the ration 2:1 from phenylhydrazine to osazone or keep the 3:1 ration in order to find the theoretical yield?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. chemisttree

chemisttree 3,717
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If instead of making the phenylhydrazine you used, you obtained it from a bottle... which ratio would you use?

Remember that the first reaction is essentially a neutralization reaction... the phenylhydrazine hydrochloride is free-based with sodium acetate. If I discover a way to do this that requires 20 moles of the the hydrochloride to my newly-discovered base (capable of neutralizing 20 moles of the hydrochloride!), will we all have to go back and rewrite every paper ever published that used sodium acetate for the job?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?