Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China Urges US to sign the Kyoto Treaty

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1

Mk

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_re_ca/canada_climate_change
    Those countries are missing out on the moolah. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why wouldn't China urge the U.S. to adopt the protocols which essentially exempt China while placing severe restrictions on the U.S.? It's a crafty way to keep your labor costs low in a competitive world economy while placing your competitors at a decided disadvantage.

4. Dec 1, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Are all these environmentalists just oblivious to the insanely obvious implications when it comes to China's role in the treaty?

5. Dec 1, 2005 #4
    Aren't the burning coal layers in China the biggest source of Co2 in the world?
    But then again, you really can't do much about that.
    But true, The US could cut down a bit on fuel consumption.

6. Dec 1, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure the US is #1 in CO2 emissions. This isn't about the US cutting emissions, this is about giving China a free pass to pollute at will. We already cut regulations based on our own legislation

7. Dec 1, 2005 #6

Mk

I wonder how much natural fires contribute to the GHG composition of the atmosphere.

8. Dec 1, 2005 #7

Mk

9. Dec 1, 2005 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Dec 1, 2005 #9
    Legislation allows you to cut regulations? What's that supposed to mean?

11. Dec 1, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That looks like a typo - I'm sure he meant to say legislation is causing cuts in emissions.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  12. Dec 2, 2005 #11
    Does any one know how many of the Kyoto signatories aren't actively developing nuclear power?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?